Water leaking - wooden beam in wall in between brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a water leaking problem. I thought I'd fixed the problem a while ago but it is still occurring (albeit not as bad as before).

Before Story
Lots of water coming into the kitchen when it rained. The section above the kitchen where the water was coming from had a system boiler et al and lots furniture covering it. Anyway, got rid of all that old system boiler and associated furniture to replace with a combi. That's when I noticed where the leak was coming from. Once the system boiler et al had been stripped away I could see the bare wall, at the bottom of the wall are breeze blocks, then a wooden beam, then red bricks on top of the wooden beam. I pinpointed the water originating to the point of the wooden beam. See pics attached. The outside wall is rendered and I could see a crack specifically where the wooden beam was. So, I patched up the crack with mortar and that seemed to solve the problem... fast forward to the after story (see my reply below and after pics)

Attachments

• wood-beam-in-wall.jpg
    wood-beam-in-wall.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 58
  • crack-before.jpg
    crack-before.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
After story
So I patched over the crack and re plastered the inside wall and cleaned up. Roll forward about 8 months and the leak starts again (specifically when it rained a lot over the last few days). I can see the damp patch on the inside of the wall starts at the point the wooden beam is. My mortar patch also might need renewing? Do I need to get that wooden beam out completely?? Is that DIY-able? How can I solve the problem??

See pics below for the current state of the situation

Attachments

• interior-wall-after.jpg
    interior-wall-after.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 39
  • crack-after.jpg
    crack-after.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
If the timber is not soft or rotting, consider a better repair of the render - including mesh to control future cracking, and possibly overcoating the whole elevation if it's sound, but definitely painting any bare repaired render.

If the timber is not soft or rotting, consider a better repair of the render - including mesh to control future cracking, and possibly overcoating the whole elevation if it's sound, but definitely painting any bare repaired render.
Thanks, I did use some galvanised mesh before. So, shall I cut out my mortar job... then replace with a better job. Sand down to make it flat, then use 'render paint' (may as well paint the whole wall).

Or can I get away with sanding down and painting over the existing mortar job I did?

Sponsored Links
I would consider replacing, it does not look the best!

Whether you can sand down is a case of trying. If it works, fine, but there's the issue of whether it will crack along the junction of new and existing. And whether the rest of the render is sound.

Don't use galv. mesh, it will rust. Use fibre or stainless steel.

thanks, in that case will cut out my crappy render and try again! will use fibre or stainless steel mesh!
TBH I found it difficult trying to get a neat finish... will be extra careful this time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back