Water meets leccy...

Dont know if im being silly but is it against any regs of some sort for using a pattress box as an extension lead? dont they need cord grips?
Yes, probably, for the reason you give (and possible others) - but, if it's 'plugged in' I'm not sure which regs (I'm sure others will know!) - BS7671 only relates to 'fixed wiring'.

It's certainly not good practice if the socket/box are 'lose' and the cable not secured or clamped in any way. However, nor is it uncommon :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If it isn't already, then shoving a pattress box under a sink unit, plugging a washine machine into it then placing a drain hose with a leaking joint across the live socket outlet flipping well SHOULD be against the rules.

Landlord is coming round with a builder today to talk to my son about addressing the outstanding issues. Things MIGHT be looking a bit more optimistic.

So you can. Still don't think I would like to use one as an extension lead bit too brittle. I suppose it's a case of have a look in the back of the van and knock an extension lead up out of what you can find?

Sponsored Links
If it isn't already, then shoving a pattress box under a sink unit, plugging a washine machine into it then placing a drain hose with a leaking joint across the live socket outlet flipping well SHOULD be against the rules.
I don't think many people would suggest thatthe arrangement you've described is satisfactory. If that trailing box/socket is 'wired in' (rather than 'plugged in' {to a socket}), then it already is non-compliant with the Wiring Regulations (BS7671). It's if it is 'plugged in' that it is less clear which regulations apply, although (as I said) it's probably non-compliant with some regulations/Standards.[/quote]

Kind Regards, John

So you can. Still don't think I would like to use one as an extension lead bit too brittle. I suppose it's a case of have a look in the back of the van and knock an extension lead up out of what you can find?
I proberbly is, although if theres a load of the same house, you would have thought they could do better.
- Some are less brittle than others, but again, you cant tell without hitting it against something!

If that trailing box/socket is 'wired in' (rather than 'plugged in' {to a socket}), then it already is non-compliant with the Wiring Regulations (BS7671). It's if it is 'plugged in' that it is less clear which regulations apply, although (as I said) it's probably non-compliant with some regulations/Standards.
Although if its screwed down....

I was very supprised to see a FCU screwed to the floor under a tank going to the imersion heater in a barret homes box, but have since seen said done in several new houses.

Daniel

If that trailing box/socket is 'wired in' (rather than 'plugged in' {to a socket}), then it already is non-compliant with the Wiring Regulations (BS7671). It's if it is 'plugged in' that it is less clear which regulations apply, although (as I said) it's probably non-compliant with some regulations/Standards.
Although if its screwed down....
Yes, IF it were screwed to the floor, and IF the cable supplying it was also secured to the floor, then it could be compliant - but I frankly doubt that either box or cable are fixed to that (seemingly concrete) floor. I may,of course, be wrong.

Kind Regards, John

Im play devils advocate a little, but in a way its a good thing the join was directly above the socket and drew attention to itself, else it could have gone unnoticed dumping a pint of water on the floor every wash and cause far more lasting harm.

Although its still very odd that in a new build the fault took out the whole house.

Least not because when I suffered a burst tap flexy under my kitchen sink, wetting through the washing machine socket, as soon as the jet of water was removed the rcd would hold fine even with a still very damp socket.

Daniel

Afaict wastewater is far more conductive than freshwater.

Afaict wastewater is far more conductive than freshwater.
True, but assuming it has a 17th, or even splitload cu, still doesn't explain why the house was evacuated for a damp extension lead. Anyway, why could it not just be unplugged?

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back