Water meter issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In plumbing because it's water based.

When I got home tonight I noticed that my water meter lid was pushed up, and a polystyrene plug had pushed out. I used my foot and pushed it back in, loads of water came out, and I got the lid to (sort of) go back on. Does it just sit in the hole? Looks like it does

I remember it did it once before?

My question is
Is my meter capable of breaking in such a way to do this? Water pressure seems normal, no water gushing out.
Or could it have been heavy rain that happened to fill the hole?

Worth ringing the water company? Do they charge for looking at a meter?
In daylight I could shine a torch down to see if the meter is running.

Sponsored Links
I had this issue I once. Water co. had changed the meter and in doing so cracked the base.
when I complained I was told it was ground water...
The water co did nothing until I refused to pay the Bill until they sorted the problem out.

1. The lid is just a piece of polystyrene insulation to help prevent the meter from freezing.
2. Meter holes are always full of either water or spiders. I'm just waiting for aquatic spiders!
3. Scoop / sponge the water out, then check that, with all appliances turned off and WC cisterns completely full, the meter isn't turning.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back