Water Meter Q - Leak?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,

Have a look at these pics with the time stamped on them taken morning and eve of the same day whilst we were out at work and nothing in the house that uses water was on.

DSCN2484.jpg

DSCN2538.jpg

As you can see the 0.0001 needle has moved a by what looks like 0.0004.

How much water does that equate to?
Do you think there is a leak?
When you talk to the water board (South West Water) they seem to suggest even if the meter moves, as long as it is less than a certain amount in a certain time then it is ok, however common sense tells me it should not move at all...

Any thoughts :confused:

Sponsored Links
Also we are using around 22 units a quarter with two adults in the house - does that seem about right? We very rarely wash cars and never hose the garden...

It is coming out less than being on rates but having this flippin' meter fitted has made me paranoid :rolleyes:

that is perfectly normal, the volume of water your talking about is neglible

Thanks dangermouse good to know that it is normal. So how much water does 0.0004 equate to on that meter?

Sponsored Links
(22 x 4)/365=241 litres/day seems a little high but maybe the shower uses a lot.

0.0003 x 1m³ = 300 cm³ .....about a cup full.

maby the central heating has got a small leak? or just evaporation from the tank? have you tried turning the stop cock off whilst out and see if it moves, if so i guess a leak under your garden.

A cup full isn't much I suppose, although I have a lid on the loft tanks so it shouldn't loose that much through evaporation should it? Maybe I'll turn off the stop cock as suggested and try it over a day again.

241 litres a day sounds a lot :eek: our shower isn't a pumped type but the type that uses elec to heat the water (mira sport). Although especially in the summer when the cold water supply isn't as cold as the winter you have to have the water flow quite high otherwise the water it too hot. You can turn the power down but then you have to slow the water flow right down and it is a bit slow - the 'soon to be Mrs' complains that it takes too long to wash her hair :rolleyes:

Does having a pressure reducing valve help with water consumption? I think our water pressure is quite high, although I have never actually tested it...

The first meter reading is 13.04171 cubic metres; the second is 13.04207 cubic meters. The difference is 0.00036 cubic metres which is 0.36 litres.

If you are loosing this amount every day then it will cost you less than 50 pence a year! You will waste more than this each year if you clean your teeth with the tap running.

You really need to turn off the main stopcock in the house and check if the meter then moves. This will tell you if the leak is in the house or in the pipe from meter to stopcock.

I expect this is evaporation from your loft tanks.

But it will be a lot less when the weather is cooler. Its summer now!

You will loose less if you insulate your tanks.

Tony

Agile said:
You will loose less if you insulate your tanks.

I have been meaning to do this for a while, i have put lids on, just need to get some insulation...

The first meter reading is 13.04171 cubic metres; the second is 13.04207 cubic meters. The difference is 0.00036 cubic metres which is 0.36 litres.

If you are loosing this amount every day then it will cost you less than 50 pence a year! You will waste more than this each year if you clean your teeth with the tap running.

You really need to turn off the main stopcock in the house and check if the meter then moves. This will tell you if the leak is in the house or in the pipe from meter to stopcock.

I won't loose any sleep over it then :)

D_Hailsham said:
The average consumption is about 160 litres per person per day. Yours works out at 120 litres, so that's very good.

Ahh interesting, I'm glad it is below average although it still seems to cost a lot. However South West Water are one of the more expensive I understand as we have a lot of coast line. Were does that average figure come from?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back