Water pressure and flow question in the block of flats

They've certainly completed a good clean job that's for sure. All nice and tidy and well fitted. Yup, relocation wouldn't really be an option I don't think given the size and potential costs. Dropping the water level an inch and fitting a food safe plastic sloped platform under the outlet that has a leading edge that dips into the water may be an option. That way there is still the required air gap but it gives a landing area for the water to dissipate it's energy onto and then flow into the cistern. I'd inquire about that one with Thames and WRAS.

Obviously Keraflow will say that if it gets them a sale ;)

Sponsored Links
Many thanks, Rob, for your advice about the food safe sloped platform. That feels to me as a sensible thing to do that would bring the noise level down.

Would you have any examples, pictures or drawings that will demonstrate it? Are out there any specifically made for the purpose or you would have to rig it yourself from available materials?

I am going to call both WRAS and Thames Water about exemptions and the platform later today, and anything else they might advise on.

Re Keraflow: Would you personally advise against using it if the tank is situated above the bedroom?

I understand the benefits: delayed action preventing all night dripping and rapid fill, but if the noise levels are much higher, than might be counterproductive. Hard to know what is the best without having any experience.

Last edited:
Have just spoken to WRAS about food safe materials again and they said the only materials which can used within the tank are that either a) compliant with BS6920 standard; or b) WRAS-approved.

Not sure I understood them correctly, but I think they said that the air gap requirement in the tank that has water of the same quality as the mains (which it is) shouldn't, in theory, be a problem for adding a silencer pipe but referred to the Thames Water again, as they enforce the regulations.

I have spoken briefly to the Thames Water about the possible exemption from regulations, and was asked to email them to explain my situation, which I am now planning to do. I understand that it might take them up to ten working days to reply, so fingers crossed.

Given the tank is a cold water storage cistern, it is supposed to be able to deliver what is classed as wholesome water. It is still classed as CAT1/potable but isn't mains water but that's the way is goes with regs sometimes and as they say is usually open to interpretation and is therefore then down to the supplier.

Food safe plastic has to be compliant with BS6920 otherwise it couldn't be classed as/called food safe, so a sloping platform could be manufactured from a plastic food container or similar. Time to get creative methinks.

Sponsored Links
Babies food bib, made from food safe plastic/silicone.

Hook it over the ball valve with the pocket facing the tank wall so the back of it forms a sloped deflector. Drill/cut holes in the bottom of the pocket so it doesn’t trap water. If it doesn’t stay in position by just hanging there, you could adhere it to the tank wall with some food safe silicone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/bib-food/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i:aps,k:bib for food

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back