Water pressure drop to loft with unvented cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. We are having trouble with water pressure from our unvented hot water cylinder tank (a.k.a megaflo/megaflow). Over time, the pressure has reduced so much that we can't get any decent flow rate from the taps in the loft. Ground floor and first floor are very powerful as you can see on the left of the video

Considering that the taps work perfectly on the other floors (albeit with a slight hint of pressure drop), could it be that our pipes are blocked up? Don't know if you can see on the video but the tap on the right pulses from time to time as though there's trapped air.

Some key facts to help:
  • The cylinder that we have is the one with an external expansion vessel which we have changed recently (a few weeks ago)
  • We have changed the pressure reducing combination valve last year
  • I have tried removing any potential air bubble in the tank be turning off the stopcock, opening all taps, opening the pressure relief valve
  • Cylinder brand: Zilmet
  • Expansion vessel brand: Reflex

Is there anything else that I could do or is there an easy fix?

I'm thinking of asking our plumber to do a powerflush of the water pipes (if there's such a thing) when he flushes our heating system.

Sponsored Links
You've answered your own question, if the other taps fed from the cylinder are performing well then it has to be something to do with the pipework/outlets/valves that are serving the outlets you are having an issue with.
I wouldn't say a powerflush would be the way forward, more so working through the pipework and joints from the outlets where the issue is being seen back to the branch off from the main supply if the pipework is accessible.

Thanks Mandrab. Turns out all that we needed to do was open the filters at the end of the taps and clean them out.....D'OH! :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back