water regs - check valves and service valves

Yes I was thinking G15-9 & G15-10 Norcon.

Kevindgas,

Is that domestic or industrial, if the former you can tell them to get lost, although they can be very err difficult :LOL: if you do, however it is not a water regulation requirement.

Perhaps your inspector is a dinasaur like me, because I had a heated discussion about this very point, and Bristol/Wessex water tell me not needed now in a domestic property as all the water is cat 1-2, and backflow prevention is at point of use.

There are a few variations, multiple occupancy etc, whereas the same supply serves several flats, for example.

The same chat also included full flow lever valves being ok, against a stopcock.

Sponsored Links
all well and good going by the water regs. but how many infringments do the pros come across. i must see at least more than one a day.i have got water regs and know all about fluid cat risks 1-5 etc.but i would like to know how many think a service valve is required on services to basins etc.and a check valve is a must after a mains stop tap which it aint.

holty stop winding the old git up

his nurse is trying to get him to bed :LOL: :LOL: ;)

or he is trying to get the nurse to bed depends on the medication ;)

doitall -just goes to show really doesn't it how even the same company can't agree as Bmouth / west hants is part of Bristol / wessex and it was them that insisted on double checks on 2 flats we did recently :confused: :confused:
mind you he was a pedantic little **** that inspected it, even measured the depth of the trench and insisted on 25mm pipes sleeved through the wall

Sponsored Links
doitall -just goes to show really doesn't it how even the same company can't agree as Bmouth / west hants is part of Bristol / wessex and it was them that insisted on double checks on 2 flats we did recently :confused: :confused:
mind you he was a pedantic little **** that inspected it, even measured the depth of the trench and insisted on 25mm pipes sleeved through the wall

As above Kevidgas, flats are different for some silly reason.

Personally I think all mains should still have check valves.

Guys name wasn't Packer by any chance, or little hitler as we called him.

Talking of Bournemouth (Christchurch) they were pouring deep concrete, and the inspector was stood on scaffold boards throwing his weight about, as they do, anyway he lost his balance and fell backwards straight into the wet concrete :LOL:

The funny thing was he put his hand out to stop himself going and everyone took a step backwards :evil:

Yes it is, you need single check valves, if it is mains direct feed. Not tank water in other words, and only then if they're mixer taps and valves.

How do I know if it is mains direct feed? I think I've ascertained it is an unvented system. I have a hot water storage tank in the airing cupboard but no cold water tank in the loft. I don't have a combi boiler. Does that all mean the cold water comes from the mains and the hot water from the tank? The house was built in 2004. I looked at the main stop cock but can't see any special valves, but I dont really know what I'm looking for. Sorry all, just still a bit uncertain as to which valves I need and which I don't. The bath, both showers and hand basin will all have mixer taps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back