Water shortage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone think that this latest "drought" (in spite of above average rainfall for May) is just a ploy by the water companies to get us all on water meters?

Also it said on BBC news this morning that one way of getting us to cut down on our usage of the precious stuff would be to increase the price - oh yeah? And who would benefit from such a price increase?

Sponsored Links
Yup, I agree - it's a cynical ploy.

I'm in the south east where we're alledgedly very short of water - we're next to the bl**dy sea, FFS!

My rent includes all my bills, too, so I use as much water as I want, when I want and I don't care. Neither does the landlord as the flat's not on a meter.

(I don't have a garden to use a hosepipe in, or a car to wash, though ;) )

Being on a meter cut my bills in half.

joe

They are ok for someone on their own or even couples have said they are cheaper, but for a family of four with normal usage, we found it more expensive after we moved to a house with a meter. We don't waste much water and I don't see how we could cut our usage if the price goes up. We have to have water to exist.

Why can't water companies be forced to reinvest a certain amount to repair broken pipes or have their profits capped?

Sponsored Links
ninebob
I'm in the south east where we're alledgedly very short of water - we're next to the bl**dy sea, FFS!

My rent includes all my bills, too, so I use as much water as I want, when I want and I don't care. Neither does the landlord as the flat's not on a meter.

This is a bit of a 'NIMBY'.

On similar 'NIMBY' speaking to someone at the w/end, who drives a biq expensive 4x4. He said I drive it because I can afford to.

Its all about selfishness, who cares about 50 years time, it makes good news thats about all.

tigger said:
Anyone think that this latest "drought" (in spite of above average rainfall for May) is just a ploy by the water companies to get us all on water meters?

And who would benefit from such a price increase?
The Share holding property owning democracy .........now where did I hear that :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Diyisfun said:
ninebob

This is a bit of a 'NIMBY'.

On similar 'NIMBY' speaking to someone at the w/end, who drives a biq expensive 4x4. He said I drive it because I can afford to.

Its all about selfishness, who cares about 50 years time, it makes good news thats about all.
It's not about being selfish, or at least I don't think so. And I do care what happens in 50 years time. I just simply don't beleive there is a shortage.

All water used is recycled, surely? So it doesn't matter how much I use.

I've just re-read what I've written on this, and it does make me sound a bit bullish on the issue - I'm not saying I deliberately waste water, indeed, as I've said, I have no garden or car so my usage is probably quite low.

It's just that my usage level has no effect on the amount I pay, so if I want a bath today instead of a shower I will run one, and I flush my loo after each use (some people on meters that I know don't - urgh!).

I use rainwater for the garden and I think I'll start to use it to wash the car (rare event). When you see how much water runs off our roofs and down the drain - we DESERVE a water shortage.

joe

Thatcher took all the money we paid in water charges and did not reinvest a penny. Then she sold it all to the mammon companies. THEN
the crafty lady started getting on the water companies case saying they are not investing enough money in reinvestment for updating and repairs
to the water and sewerage systems. Thatcher did the same thing on all the sell offs. Never invested a penny from her governments coffers when she was raking it in then chased the mammon companies that purchased.

That does not alter the fact that prices charged are extortionate. A family of four or five can least afford to pay these higher and higher prises.

MAMMON RULES :evil: :evil: :evil:

Don't worry folks .. Gas, Electricity, Water .. Tis all going up under a global conspiracy .. Large bellied corpations are saying "If the silly buqqers will pay double for petrol due to their own duly elected Govn policy of taxation... Then let us all get on the bandwagon before 'powers that be' look for other revenue sources -- following the demise of oil.."
;)

Our power needs are all linked to oil one way or another. We should quadruple petrol prices and reduce /abolish VAT.

joe

Because we are wasting it. When I was a kid there were three cars on our street. Today there are three to every house!

We need to conserve what we have so that we have some left for our great grandkids.

Quadrupling the price and adjusting the tax burden to maintain the status quo would stop us wasting it.

joe

williams89 said:
Thatcher took all the money we paid . Thatcher did the same thing on all the sell offs. Never invested a penny from her governments coffers when she was raking it in then chased the mammon companies that purchased.

MAMMON RULES :evil: :evil: :evil:
Very Apropriate today 6 6 6 :evil: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back