Water Softeners - recommended model?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to get a softener, as water where I am is quite hard (250ppm)

It's going in the loft (just above the kitchen, as I'm top floor maisonette), so would like a remote sensor showing when I need to refill it.

Should be for about 4 people, suitable for high-flow/megaflow system.

Thanks

Marcos

Sponsored Links
I'm looking at getting a softener too. Asked my central heating chap and he recommended either Tapworks or Aquadial.

The best ones are kinetico.

They have 2 cylinders, so you don't have times that hard water gets through into your system. Most cheaper water softeners are set to regenerate in the night, so if the beads are "full" before that, all your water will be hard.
Also they waste salt when they are regenerating when they are not full.

So I always recommend Kinetico, they only regenerate when needed, and they have 2 cylinders, so when the first is regenerating, the second one is working.

Lolli

Thanks for recommendations - I looked into all three makes, and went with Kinetico.

I was sold on the simplicity - no timers, no meters, no electric, and the twin cylinder.

Had to act quick as plumber coming on Monday, and getting it delivered that afternoon.

My only reservation is that it only stores 8kg of salt, compared to 30kg or so for the others. I'm told that's enough for one month for two people though.

Cost nearly a grand inc. VAT and delivery, so nearly twice the price of the Tapworks, hoping it's worth it in the long run!

Sponsored Links
It's going in the loft
Really, really bad idea

you want to carry heavy sacks of salt up a ladder every few weeks?

Thanks for the tip, I can see what you mean.

I should clarify though: I'm on top floor maisonette. It's a big L-shape, with the front roofspace having been converted to a bedroom. On the side of the attic bedroom is a hatch that leads directly to the back roof space. So in terms of access I just go up the stairs to the attic bedroom and go into the back attic through a small door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back