Water supply runs to shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a shower in the corner of the room, against a brick outside wall and an internal brick wall. I want to mount the mixer control on the internal wall. I guess I have to cut chases in the brickwork for the pipes. How deep should they be? Should I wrap the pipes in Densotape, or with insulation, before mortaring up and tiling ? The pipes run under the floorboards and under the shower tray - so just *where* do I put the isolating valves ? Anything else ?

Sponsored Links
Just chase it enough for the pipe to fit in the chase and not stick out. I think building regs allow a 1/6th of the wall thickness to be chased at max.

Isolating valves you can put them anywhere along the feed, if you situate them were a long run of pipework follows, it might be worth fitting a drain off too.

Just make it easy for yourself.

If your going to fit isolation valves, fit the full bore ones, as standard ones are restrictive.

I would use denzo tape, personal choice.
As long as the copper is protected from the lime in the cement.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, John, for those tips. Alas ! There is *nowhere* that I can install isolating valves where they would be accessible ! The pipes are all under the floor, with two joists between their current run and the wall - and not enough room between the last joist and the wall to fit the pipes, even if I could joint them ! So that's another challenge... I really would prefer to keep the tray as low as possible, but I suppose I shall just have to lift it by 20mm or so, to avoid notching the joists !

The "Rules" say I should mount the tray on mortar on WBP ply, so I guess I could cut slots in that, then tape over the pipe slots to keep the mortar from going into the slots...

How should I terminate the pipes ? A footed-elbow, perhaps, screwed into the brickwork, with the face of the elbow flush with the tiles ?

Thanks, Terry.
The adjacent pipes are 22mm - I planned to step down to 15mm, but should I continue in 22mm ? I've got a pressure regulator set to 6 bar.

Here are a cuppla pix to illustrate the challenges.
The edge of the shower tray will fall along the line that the screwdrivers point to.

The 22mm supply comes from Tees on the stand-pipes feeding the pedestal basin in the next room. They come through the wall (different floor levels), and then there are Tees off to the right to feed the basin, and under the basin are two more Tees (15mm) to bring the supply back along the wall to the two isolating valves shown! - which I would like to remove, but that may be TFD. There isn't enough room between the joist and the wall to run those two along to supply the shower.

I guess perhaps there was a bidet there, or a basin. How can I cap the waste pipe below the floor? All the joints are solvent welded.

I propose to cut the two pipes just this side of the Tees, and then run the supply to the left under the floor, then turn up and right over the joists to bring them to the wall, and then up the wall in chases to the mixer valve. But where would you suggest I put the isolating valves ?

They cut a vast channel through the tops of the floor joists (compression flange) for the pipes, in the middle of the span, too. Should I do anything about them ? Those through the joist nearest the camera will be redundant, so I could fill it, I suppose - but what with ? Is it worth it ?

All suggestions gratefully received !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back