water systems

I have read much kak-n-poo here,

I am quoting the law - fact!!! Your personal opinions do not count!!

Read my sig.

Sponsored Links
If you are so confident that you are competent, why not put your money where your mouth is and do the ACS.

A quick google search for hse gas competence legal requirements led me to:
"The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations aim to prevent injury to consumers and the public from either carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning or fire and explosion.
In particular the Regulations require:
* individual gas installers or gas installation businesses to be a member of a class of persons approved by HSE, which is currently CORGI
* Anyone carrying out work on gas appliances or fittings as part of their business must be competent and registered with CORGI.
* CORGI to monitor the competency of those businesses and their operatives to undertake gas work safely and to investigate complaints against registered installers."

Seems pretty final and legal definition of competence to me. As far as I can make out, even if I were to replace a section of pipe, reseal a joint with PTFE or sweat an endfeed in, then I have installed something involving gas and am that point calling myself a gas installer/fitter. Therefore I must lawfully satisfy the requirements of the regulations.

Since I only do wet work and may be capable/able and even if i presume my own competence - using even a basic holistic definition (whilst curiously ignoring a key part of the 2.Law quoted below):

"1. a. The state or quality of being adequately or well qualified; ability.
b. A specific range of skill, knowledge, or ability.
2. Law - The quality or condition of being legally qualified to perform an act."

... then i am still not permitted to do anything pertaining to gas work under the regulations.

To suggest otherwise is misinformation, which seems to be BB's or Waterwork's (or whatever his other pseudonyms are) intentions, and I question his intentions for doing so.

See what i mean :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
mark br , When i have seen some who have passed ACS that definitely does not prove competence.
And with his undoubted ability to read he would probably pass it.

Sponsored Links
Water Systems

Re: DHW re-circulation & thermal store
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 02:47:36 PM »

Quote from: wookey on January 18, 2009, 09:39:59 PM
I favour the Bosch/Davis Craig EBP as a 'small low-power pump' (as as been covered on this forum before). Can't see any reason why it shouldn't work for this job. GBP 55 plus 10 for the 12V supply. Cheaper to run than a standard mains pump and much cheaper than a bronze pump. Plastic body and impeller and no bearing seal so should be OK with agressive untreated water - but better check as that's not actually what it's designed for.

Wilo bronze pump for £50:
http://www.centurionhbs.co.uk/shop/productdetail.asp?ID=2516&sectID=401&catID=408

It would seem he is more than welcome on another forum where it is extremely rare to get 6 karma points on so few posts.

But are they taken in too easily, take a look at the Bronze pump link.

I am quoting the law - fact!!! Your personal opinions do not count!!

While my comments made previously may have been drawn from personal experience and general intelligence you have made no factual based argument to the fact that you are quoting law.

If you would like i will draw legal precedent that will state to what level it is required by law for a person to be deemed competent. I'm sure a man of you google skills would have checked this first but...

In case you have failed to realise, when you say that you feel competent to work on gas appliances that is your personal opinion.

When you feel that what you may suggest is the best course of action, that is your personal opinion.

Regards Jon (happy to use my own name by the way)

Rather than using bold letters and exclamation marks to try and prove your point how about a sensible and constructive factual based argument that will shut us all up once and for all?

I'll give you a couple of days to google your response to this as i suppose its too much to ask for you to have a considered reply off the cuff with all the knowledge that you profess to possess?

simple solution boys and girls.

shun him.

if anyone chooses to follow his advice over the conflicting advice of so many others then so be it.

i shamt be wasting my fingers muscles asking him for sensible non cut and paste answers any more. its just boring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back