Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for advice on UFH as well as general heating system.

We have made the choice to get water underfloor heating in the middle of our refurb works for the kitchen. Rather than placing PVC pipes in plastic castellated floor panels, we will have them routed between joists and on top of insulation boards, like the following:

water-between-joists-1.jpg

I have two options at present:
  1. Get a full water underfloor heating kit; or
  2. Get the parts individually.
So far, looking on eBay, it looks like going with option 2 works out cheaper as we can re-use the 15mm PVC piping we have; so all we really need is the pump. Looking on eBay, there are two brands that one listing shows: Grundfos and Wilo. As we need only for one room, I have assumed that we only need 2 ports on the pump (flow and return).

So I have two main questions:
  1. What brand and type of pump to get
  2. Is it possible to wire the underfloor heating system into my existing heating system so that I don't need a separate thermostat?
I want to change my manual thermostat and timer programmer with something like one of these:

honeywell wireless
s-l1600.jpg

or hive wi-fi
s-l500.jpg

Therefore, it would be good if I could wire the UFH into the relay box of one of these.

Are there any guides around that I can follow to wire up the relay box? I am quite competent with electrical works. Looking briefly at this honeywell installation guide, as we have 2 separate zone valves (hot water + heating), I reckon I have to follow section 5.3. Is it as straightforward as that?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I would get a pro in to do this judging by the questions you are asking. You need more than just a pump, it has to be blended down to a lower temperature aswell. You need a flow and return to the manifold aswell teed before the existing two port valves on the primary flow and return from the boiler.

Wiring is simple enough. I would normally leave existing wiring as is and run a 4 core from either boiler or wiring centre depending on your setup and whats easier L, N, E and SL then put another wiring centre where the UFH manifold is.

In answer to question 2, you do need a seperate thermostat for the UFH.

I would get a pro in to do this judging by the questions you are asking. You need more than just a pump, it has to be blended down to a lower temperature aswell. You need a flow and return to the manifold aswell teed before the existing two port valves on the primary flow and return from the boiler.

Wiring is simple enough. I would normally leave existing wiring as is and run a 4 core from either boiler or wiring centre depending on your setup and whats easier L, N, E and SL then put another wiring centre where the UFH manifold is.

Thanks for the reply. We have decided to not go ahead after weighing up the cost/benefit.

I have since read up on boiler wiring and understand what is needed to replace the time programmer. I might start a separate thread for further advice if required.

Sponsored Links
Go and have a look at the Nu heat LoPro stuff, even if you wait for next time to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back