Water/waste for island unit in kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We would like to have an island unit with a sink in the middle of our kitchen but are not sure how this can be done. The sink in the island would be about 6 ft away from the wall. The floor is concrete. Can it be done and what is involved, do we need some sort of pump? Help!

Sponsored Links
lot of cutting of concrete assuming you can get the fall for the drain .i would use solvent weld waste and make sure the water pipework is protected or use plastic not really difficult if you dont mind the donkey work

If you can't get the fall for the drain, its common to use a pump. EG from the "saniflow" range it's the saniVITE unless they've changed names again. When you empty the sink/washing machine etc, it whirrs for a few seconds and that's it.

Thanks very much for the info. Will check the Saniflo site. :D

Sponsored Links
I have only had experience of Saniflo pumps in a toilet situation, and they are bu**ers when they go wrong (which they do!). Obviously a kitchen sink won't have so much solid waste to deal with, but it is worth considering. If you can do it without a pump, then do it without a pump!

Thanks very much guys, I was having exactly the same dilema with my kitchen island (and getting no where with any local plumbers....lots of umming and arrring and waiting for quotes).

Thanks,:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back