Waterproofing doors that are overlooking the open sea

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved to a house at the back of a beach, fully exposed to the sea. There is a balcony on the first floor and when there is a southerly gale, and only in a southerly gale, water is forced under the doors to the balcony, despite my attempts to make them waterproof.
My next idea is to fit a removable horizontal board such as is used to prevent floods getting through openings in flood walls or on the doors of houses in flood areas.
My idea is not to make a waterproof seal but to provide shelter from the winds in gales and storms so that water is not forced under the doors.
The door is narrow both in width and depth.

I would welcome any advice as to whether I have a reasonable solution and if not please offer suggestions.

If I have a reasonable solution, what can I use as brackets to hold the board in place given that I have narrow frame.

Thanks all

Brendan

Sponsored Links
Any pics, does the door have a stepped threshold?, does it open inwards?

Any pics, does the door have a stepped threshold?, does it open inwards?

There are in fact double doors about 3 metres tall and each is a sealed double glazed unit with timber surround.

The doors open inwards.
There is a wooden striking plate (is this the correct term?) and the bottom of the doors protrude beyond it. There was a gap of approx 1/2 inch between the bottom of the door and the striking plate so I screwed a piece of timber approx 1/2 on top of the striking plate and planed it as necessary to allow doors to close and put brush like draft excluders on bottom of door.
This works fine in normal rain but with a gale from the south rain is driven in.

I have uploaded 3 pics. Hopefully there will be a link on this when published.

Brendan

Sponsored Links
http://www.stormguard.co.uk/products/SillsPartM/Sills.htm

Thanks for this link.
I am gob smacked at the variety.
Because of the size of these doors, I was hoping to find a solution that didn't involve taking the doors down and rehanging them.
I will try to work through them all and see whether I can find anything that can be fitted without taking down the doors.

Brendan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back