Waterproofing Shed Roof Against Garage Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I've built a log cabin attached to my garage side wall. I'm planning to use epdm rubber roofing for and wanted to just use mastic in the gap between the cabins roof and the garage wall however I started to worry as all the flashings I can find need to cut in the actual brickwork and if it was just the mortar it would be not too bad but because of the angle it's not that easy. Is there any other way I could secure this without cutting into the wall to make it waterproof?

Attachments

• IMG20220615111826.jpg
    IMG20220615111826.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
I would do stepped flashing. (I am not a roofer)

as a DIY'er I would use a cardboard template to ensure that I only cut when I am sure that I have it right, the angle should be constant.
I have only done straight, but remove the mortar - not the brick.
Probably easier to get the prep work done before finishing the roof.

Seeing as it's a new build it's likely it needed planning permission and as you're attaching it then building control approval too.

Sponsored Links
You can do it cheap, you can do it easy, or you can do it right.

Your choice, repent at your leisure.

Hi all. I've built a log cabin attached to my garage side wall. I'm planning to use epdm rubber roofing for and wanted to just use mastic in the gap between the cabins roof and the garage wall however I started to worry as all the flashings I can find need to cut in the actual brickwork and if it was just the mortar it would be not too bad but because of the angle it's not that easy. Is there any other way I could secure this without cutting into the wall to make it waterproof?
If your are using EPDM, you can use EPDM termination bar to seal the joint between your roof and gable wall.
Termination bar works by compression and does not require the wall to be grinded out.
Firestone roofing products supply termination bar for use with EPDM.

Instead of using a white finishing bead to complete the installation, most contractors use black finishing bead.

Last edited:
The best option would be to leave a gap between the Garage to avoid a snoopy neighbour dobbing you in to planning. Given how new the development looks, there are probably covenants on your house too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back