Wax screw lubrication

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I use a candle to wipe screw threads for lubrication, but it's not very efficient as the wax can be a bit flaky.

So in true DIY style, I think it would be better to slightly dissolve the candle into a tin of some sort to make a paste - like the ones you can buy. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know what can be used to soften and hold candle wax in such a paste form? Not paraffin or anything too smelly, and not using heat or hot water! :cautious:

Sponsored Links
I know a builder that simply sprays the box of screws with WD40.

I tend to use furniture wax like liberon and get a bit of wax on the thread - awfully expensive though.

I don’t know of a softening liquid that would make candle wax permanently soft though.

I have a box of candles left over from the 3-day week strikes in the 70's, so ideally would like to put them to use. LOL

Sponsored Links
The best candle wax is a pilot hole.

Blup
We've just been fitting some 120mm insulation board into the underside of rafters with some 170mm screws, so piloting was not an option.

The impact driver struggled a little if the screw was not waxed, the screw flew in when waxed.

But generally piloting is not always practical either

I have a box of candles left over from the 3-day week strikes in the 70's, so ideally would like to put them to use. LOL
Funnily enough when I cleared out my Dads under stairs cupboard after he died, there was 4 boxes of prices candles and I’m sure they were bought in 1970s.

I can just about remember the power cuts

during the 3 day week energy restrictions my Dad was a financial director for a manufacturing business employing 100+ employees. They put up black out blinds and carried on working…bit naughty!

Never had a blackout in the 70's our house was on the same sub station/network as the local pit, the lights never went out.

Blup

How would you apply the softened candle wax - with a brush? How about using engine oil - would that work?

Melt the candle wax and dip the screw ends in. Leave the wax to set on the screws?

How would you apply the softened candle wax - with a brush? How about using engine oil - would that work?
If the wax can be made into a thick paste, it could just be kept in a tin or suchlike and the threads dipped in.

I suspect lots of oils would work, but a paste would be less messy and I do have a lot of candles that only get used once a year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back