Wax screw lubrication

one off the quickest way off warming you hand up is a 4- 6" screw driven in and out off a bit off timber 2 or 3 times and juggle it from hand to hand quickly
perhaps a one-inch insertion and retraction and drop into an ever deeper hole in a candle as it melts the candle would only take a few seconds

Sponsored Links
Seems like turps is a solvent so experimentation with wax/turps mix ratios maybe?

Sponsored Links
I have a large stock of beeswax, so experimentation was the way to go.
I've found a 5:1 beeswax/petroleum jelly(Vaseline) mix, melted in a "double boiler"(bottom half of a beer can in a small pan of water) produces something soft enough to stick a screw in, sticky enough to stay in the threads & sufficiently lubricious to significantly ease the insertion of screws into everything from MDF to teak & 200 year old oak.
Sticking 5mm of the screw into the set mix provides plenty of lubrication for any screws I've used so far, up to 80mm.

you may want to keep the candles , and use as lighting as the cost of electricity rises , more than predicted according to BBC

My dad , a carpenter used soap, so i followed

Heat the screw up and plunge it into the candle. Don't heat it up too much though, just enough that the wax sets on the screw as the steel cools. Done it before and it works.
We're back to no hot works permitted on a building site unless,...etc, etc... Fundamentally, hot works are a fire risk so they require all kinds of precautions are taken so that some numpty doesn't burn the building down, y'know, like the Glasgow School of Art - twice!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
you may want to keep the candles , and use as lighting as the cost of electricity rises , more than predicted according to BBC

My dad , a carpenter used soap, so i followed
Same here, only I followed my dad not yours.

A quick light rub on the bar and the soap stuck to the screw no problem, but that does not occur with my candles - the flaky wax just falls off. hence my conundrum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back