Wax screw lubrication

Sponsored Links
What about a tub of tallow? Assuming that you aren't working with vegetarians/vegans.

Sponsored Links
Do it at home / in back of van?
We're not back to plumbers again, are we?

@^woody^ have you never heard the term "soft soaping"? It meant (amongst other things) to to cover the threads of screws with soft soap or tallow so they drive into hardwoods more easily. And now you know what to do with that soft end of a soap bar in the shower which gets thrown away - just keep it damp in a plastic bag

Yes I used to use soap, Imperial Leather on the posh jobs.

It's just these candles I have, I want to use them! I may see what's on the shelf in the garage and put on my lab coat.

Google paste wax.
Melt your candles in a pot over boiling water. Add oil. 50/50 for soft paste.
Add a few drops of old spice to make it personal.
Cool

It's just these candles I have, I want to use them! I may see what's on the shelf in the garage and put on my lab coat.
Buy a hand plane then. I always have a nub of wax candle in my plane socks (which in my case literally are old singleton socks, in the main, which are well oiled and hold a plane each - complete with a bit of candle)

We've just been fitting some 120mm insulation board into the underside of rafters with some 170mm screws, so piloting was not an option.

The impact driver struggled a little if the screw was not waxed, the screw flew in when waxed.

But generally piloting is not always practical either
How are you going to fit the plasterboard if you are using 170mm screws.

You can buy insulation plugs then you would only need a 100mm screw.
( doesn't address what to do with the candles though)

Screw lube.....ky jelly
I'm tempted to ask what you do for a living :unsure:

I well remember the reaction in my local chemist when I asked what the largest packing of that was - 1 kg? 500mg? So good luck with that one...

(In my case it was to lubricate the flex hoses on a batch of peristaltic pumps we were using in a product, honest!)

Heat the screw up and plunge it into the candle. Don't heat it up too much though, just enough that the wax sets on the screw as the steel cools. Done it before and it works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back