wbp ply

B

breezer

i know it stands for weather and boil proof, but (you know what i am going to ask) the weather i can understand, but the boil? why would anyone want to boil a sheet of wood?

or could some one give me an example of where the boil aspect would be really useful? (and dont say boiling)

Sponsored Links
Part of the BS test for WBP ply is to boil one half of a board for 72hrs while the other half is left in cold water for 24hrs then the board is cooled and shear tested.

Don't know of many uses for ply in boiling water as you don't see many plywood tea pots about ;)

Bit of reading for you here

Jason

When it was invented, it was shown off at a big exhibition, immersed in boiling water to show how good it was. The old casein-glue ply (you often find it in old furniture) falls apart if you do that, so the trade was very impressed by the demo.

Sponsored Links
Jasonb said:
Part of the BS test for WBP ply is to boil one half of a board for 72hrs while the other half is left in cold water for 24hrs then the board is cooled and shear tested.
Don't mean to be picky but that sounded a bit of a strange test, so, reading from your link Jase, it's not the same piece of timber that has to endure the cold then boiling water. "Prior to the sheer test half the test samples are subjected to immersion in cold water for about 24 hours and the other half are submerged in boiling water for about 72 hours before being cooled in cold water."
Similarly, when we submit fire extinguishers for testing we might submit about 10-12 extinguishers of each type - each one will be used for a different test e.g one discharge at -30°C, one discharge at 60°C etc etc.
Strange that the boards only need to suffer cold water for 24 hours when they have to endure boiling for 72 hours. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back