We smelled gas in the cellar - called Gas Emergency Service *VIDEO*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just above the gas meter there is an air vent.. and the boiler flue is about 1.5 - 2 metres above the air vent!

We also store onions in the cellar.. something we started doing recently. They are quite a distance from the meter though. We store them in the entrance of the cellar (as soon as you open the cellar door, we store onions and potatoes there)

Sponsored Links
So it would seem quite possible unburnt gas from the flue during ignition made its way through the vent.

After this episode thinking of getting a natural gas alarm.. rather than relying on my sense of smell anyone can recommend a natural gas alarm?

The ones I googled seem quite dear!
Get a canary and keep it down there in a cage :LOL:

Sponsored Links
So it would seem quite possible unburnt gas from the flue during ignition made its way through the vent.
explain how a gas lighter than air exiting 2 metres above a vent in an outside atmosphere would drop down and enter a vent ?

If you smell it again. Call them again.
Told my sister to do that last week as she smelled gas in my nephews room.
Grid now digging up busy road, been at it for 3 days now, so major leak I suspect.
Must have been travelling underground through a disused pipe or natural conduit up to her house.

If you smell it again. Call them again.
Told my sister to do that last week as she smelled gas in my nephews room.
Grid now digging up busy road, been at it for 3 days now, so major leak I suspect.
Must have been travelling underground through a disused pipe or natural conduit up to her house.
yep sometimes weather conditions which can affect ground movement will show up a leak one day and not the next and vice versa so if smelling it again should always call it in again . ESP dont get upset about false alarms always better safe than sorry

Some years ago gas was found in a house 200 yards away from the nearest gas pipe.

yep sometimes weather conditions which can affect ground movement
and the water table in the soil around the leaky pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back