Weather Compensated Heating controller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, does anyone know of any Heating Controllers that incorporate a weather compensator ?

I used to have a Honeywell AQ 6000 Heating Controller at a previous House but Honeywell have discontinued it.

Can't seem to find any others around. Any help from the Pros would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you are considering a decent controller aimed at the slightly larger domestic homes , prices are around £300 up to £1000.
Honeywells Smile SDC controllers start at £337 with six models in the range.

Hi, does anyone know of any Heating Controllers that incorporate a weather compensator ?
No point getting a weather compensating controller if your boiler cannot work with one. :!:

Which boiler do you have (make and model)?

Sponsored Links
D_Hailsham - Alpha CD35C Combi
Not familiar with that boiler, so I read through the Installation Manual on the Alpha web-site. There is no mention of weather compensation capabilities, so I guess they it does not have any.

I suggest you give Alpha a phone to confirm my suspicions.

If I am right, you should consider the Honeywell CM900 series programmer. This adjust the boiler on time according to the drop in temperature over night, so the house is up to temp when you get up - a form of weather compensation without actually measuring the outside temperature. It also adjust the firing rate when the thermostat get close to the set point, so there is very little overshoot.

Not familiar with that boiler, so I read through the Installation Manual on the Alpha web-site. There is no mention of weather compensation capabilities, so I guess they it does not have any.[/quote]

Hi, Thanks for taking the time to review the Boiler with the manufacturers website. I was aware that it doesn't have dedicated wiring terminals for bespoke weather compensating controls like the Vaillant Boilers.

However, I was of the opinion that a Weather Compensating Heating Controller did all the work and fired the boiler as required. With this in mind, it would be no different to running the boiler from a single channel Horstmann timeclock or Alpha's plugin Timeclock. Using a controller with Weather compensation would still switch the boiler on and off but with the advantages of weather compensation.

At a previous House the boiler (Trianco) had no weather compensation but worked very well with the Honeywell AQ6000 Weather Compensated Control System (now discontinued)

At a previous House the boiler (Trianco) had no weather compensation but worked very well with the Honeywell AQ6000 Weather Compensated Control System (now discontinued)
The AQ6000 had three temperature: external, internal and water flow temp. It used the information to determine how long the boiler ran for. It did not directly control the burner or the gas flow, just turning the boiler on and off for varying lengths of time.

I am guessing now, but it would seem to work like this: If the house was cold, it would run continuously to bring the house up to temperature. When nearing the required temperature, it would shut the boiler down for a short while, to let the accumulated heat from the rads dissipate, then start up again. The boiler would then cycle on and off with the % time on and % time off varied according to the data from the sensors to keep the house at the required temperature.

However, I was of the opinion that a Weather Compensating Heating Controller did all the work and fired the boiler as required.
All the weather compensator does is to adjust the flow temperature of the boiler so it is no hotter than is required. See Flow temperatures in heating systems

With this in mind, it would be no different to running the boiler from a single channel Horstmann timeclock or Alpha's plugin Timeclock. Using a controller with Weather compensation would still switch the boiler on and off but with the advantages of weather compensation.
But the basic time clock just turns the boiler on at a set time.

Say you want to get up at 0730, so you set the time switch to 0630. At 0630, the time switch turns the boiler on and it runs to bring the house back up to 21°C. If it has been a very cold night it may take one hour to do this, if a warm night only 15 minutes. This means sometimes the house is up to temperature too early, sometime just in time and sometimes it has not reached temperature when you do get up. Weather compensation does nothing to correct this problem; you need a programmer with optimum start features, such as the Honeywell CM900 series.

This learns, over a few days, how long is needed to heat the house up to the required temperature and then adjusts the turn on time so the house is up to the required temperature. You set the required temperature and when it has to be up to temp on the programmer. The rest is up to the programmer. One word of warning, these programmers have an optional outside temperature sensor. It is not a weather compensator; it just allows the outside temperature to be displayed on the screen.

The temperature control facility of the AQ6000 is provided in the CM900 by a P and I controller, which varies the % time on and off, so the house heats up quickly, and then maintains the temperature within 0.5°C.

I have had one of these for over two years and it is very good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back