Weather-proof 13A Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to provide the above, at the moment I have a weather-proof socket which protects the output but is there a way of protecting both the wall out-put together with the 13A plug in situ.
(ps: I don't intend to cut grass in the rain, this would be for occasional use to supply a shed!)

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-masterseal-plus-13a-2-gang-switched-socket/98279

This will accommodate a standard 13A plug, but not a large transformer power supply type plug.

This one is cheaper.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-2-gang-dp-switched-plug-socket-with-outboard-rocker/30139

I fitted one of these about 3 years ago. In constant daily use during the summer and Christmas outdoor decs through the winter.
These don't take a transformer plug either but I've got a moulded plug in with no difficulty.
Like the reviews for the MK unit, the clips can be a bit stiff but smeared a touch of silicone grease along the lip and they are fine.
No other problems so would go for the same again if I ever need one.

I’m sure I could probably find cheaper that that lap unit if I tried, but is cost the most important factor when selecting the best product for the job?

... is cost the most important factor when selecting the best product for the job?
Probably intended essentially as a rhetorical question, but I'll answer, briefly, anyway :) ...

... the 'best product for a job' is certainly not necessarily the most expensive, and nor is a more expensive product necessarily 'better' for a particular job! I'm inclined to suggest that only a fool would spend more than they needed to spend to get a product that was perfectly adequate for the job in question!

Kind Regards, John

Beat me to it John, LOL.

As an example, I was looking for a bench mounted belt sander a few weeks ago and liked a Sheppach one from SF but didn't want to pay £150+ for one.
My wife coaxed me to take her to Aldi last week where I saw the same style sander for £89.99 Had a different name on it but to all intents and purposes it was the same as the Sheppach in SF. Was a bit dubious about buying it but my wife said as I had £100 birthday money why didn't I give it a try. Hey ho one bench mount sander bought.
Got it home and decided to give it a try, (then if it was crap I could take it straight back). It worked a treat and seemed quite robust.
Sitting down that night I decided to read the instructions only to discover that it had a 3 year warranty and if I needed to make a claim contact the nearest Sheppach centre!
It is the same one SF are charging £149.99 for because it has a Sheppach badge!

Beat me to it John, LOL. .... As an example, I was looking for a bench mounted belt sander a few weeks ago and liked a Sheppach one from SF but didn't want to pay £150+ for one. .... My wife coaxed me to take her to Aldi last week where I saw the same style sander for £89.99 Had a different name on it but to all intents and purposes it was the same as the Sheppach in SF. Was a bit dubious about buying it but my wife said as I had £100 birthday money why didn't I give it a try. Hey ho one bench mount sander bought. .... It is the same one SF are charging £149.99 for because it has a Sheppach badge!
Exactly - 'paying for a name' is the most common reason why 'most expensive' is not necessarily 'best' (in any sense).

Although initially also very dubious, I, too was persuaded to buy such things from Aldi and Lidl - and, over recent years, have bought a good few power tools and other bits and pieces, and even petrol chainsaw & mower and a generator! So far, they have all performed fine, without any problems and, as you have discovered, the often/usually come with quite long warranties - and mot things I bought didn't cost me much more than half I would have been paying in 'traditional' outlets for seemingly similar/equivalent (or,as with your sander, identical!) products.

Kind Regards, John

I find it "interesting" that the solution to making a socket outlet "weatherproof" in many countries involves mounting the outlet horizontally (flat against the wall) and then providing an additional "weatherproof" cover.

While there are outlets with such covers available in Australia, the most common weatherproof design involves having the outlet "block" protruding somewhat and having the sockets angled downwards at 45 degrees - so that water will always run "away" from the terminals.

[Of course, (virtually) no Australian plug has the lead exiting downwards, at the 6 O'Clock position. The exit direction is usually either outwards, at right angles to the plane of connection (https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-8mm-clear-10a-top-rear-entry-plug_p4330008) or as a so-called "side entry", but this "entry" is at the 4:30 position - not 3 O'Clock. (https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-10a-top-side-entry-plug_p4330079)]

In these socket outlets there are waterproof barriers provided between the "Actuators" and the actual "Switches", all of which combines to give the devices concerned a rating of IP53.
See https://www.sparkydirect.com.au/p/9...po-10amp-250v-resistant-grey---wsc2272rg.html, with the fourth photo indicating how these socket outlets are mounted.

These devices do work, all over a country which (while it does have droughts) also has "flooding (tropical) rains".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back