Weather Proof Inline Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to get hold of a weather proof inline switch - I have weatherproof outdoor sockets but they are non-switched ones. This is a pain when using the Xmas lights!!

My idea was to wire the cables with inline switches but obviously these need to be weatherproof.

I've looked on TLC etc, and googled (maybe for wrong terms though). Anyone got any ideas??

Closest I've seen is an inline RCD seen here :
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Electrical/ExteriorWiringAccessories/d190/sd2659

Although it says heavy duty not weather proof.

Someone needs to invent a 3 pin plug with an inbuilt switch by the way - thus converting non switched sockets easily....

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
the same site you linked to has switched weatherproof sockets, and yes you can get a switched 13a plug

Sponsored Links
chilluk said:
I need to get hold of a weather proof inline switch - I have weatherproof outdoor sockets but they are non-switched ones. This is a pain when using the Xmas lights!!

where are they fed from? can't you just insert a switch before the sockets?

also what kind of lights are theese? if they are low voltage (technically ELV but i wont go into that here) i'd be worried about the transformer getting wet and if they are mains i hope they are waterproof....

The lights are outdoor ones - the low voltage ones I put the tranformer in a weatherproof box mounted on the wall above the ground - so no danger with the actual fittings etc.

I just need to be able to "switch" the lights more easily than taking the plugs out - which is worse as then they would be exposed to the elements.

I can't easily change the supply to the sockets without chasing the wall back out, and I don't want to change the sockets as they are fairly new (I inherited themotherwise would have specified switched ones).

Breezer - you said that you can get 13a switched plugs - do you know a supplier please? I have tried TLC, QVS etc but their sites seem a tad limited in range.

As for forgetting the lights altogether - I just about persuaded SWMBO and her evil cohorts (OK - the kids) that I didn't fancy hanging icicle lights from the guttering perched on a ladder - so I'm getting off lightly. This year though with the outside sockets I expected to do something a little more spectacular!!

Many Thanks all for the replys.

hmm are the sockets on the ring or on a spur or what? if they are on a spur you should be able to just insert a sfcu at the start of the spur to switch them on and off.

the plug tops with switches i think were in b & q

if these lights are low voltage most have a "wall wart" to power them will your socket be deep enough?

another idea, why not get a large plastic wetherproof box, put sockets inside it, and switch the sockets via a weather proof switch that you wire into the sockets, after all there will be a 5A fuse in the plug wont there?

How about putting them on timers ???

That way you can bring joy into most people's lives without having to trudge outside on a rainy December night to turn the lights off.

I know that you've got outdoor sockets, but you might still be better to keep all the transformers indoors and then just run all the 12v wires out through any opening windows (or under a garage door - that's what I do).

And I still have to go up the ladder to do the icicle lights.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back