Weatherproofing/boxing in RSJ from the outside

You can but not sure why you'd want to, you'd have to pack it out to make it flush using some timber... :). You'd still have the flanges to deal with as well.
I still think you should put a little timber porch on the back. Would stop you messing around trying to tie in bond etc.
Or move the column so it's inline with the kitchen wall so you have a small cantilever.

Or render or clad around the door a bit.
512212_4b9bfa7f85.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can but not sure why you'd want to, you'd have to pack it out to make it flush using some timber... :). You'd still have the flanges to deal with as well.
I still think you should put a little timber porch on the back. Would stop you messing around trying to tie in bond etc.
Or move the column so it's inline with the kitchen wall so you have a small cantilever.

Or render or clad around the door a bit.
View attachment 115040

Thank you tomfe. That frame around the door in the pictures looks very pretty. How do I achieve something like that?

You use render with stop beads around the edge.

You use render with stop beads around the edge.
Thank you.
So, what I need to do is:
1. Fix timber in the RSJ web (flush with RSJ flange)
2. Fix a cement board on top of the timber (also on the sides to make a levelled frame ?)
3. Render on top of cement board

anything missing?

Sponsored Links
I am still struggling to understand why you would have knocked those bricks
out in the first place to put a steel post in?
and as someone mentioned if its 4mts long then surly its ok canterlivered.

I am still struggling to understand why you would have knocked those bricks
out in the first place to put a steel post in?
and as someone mentioned if its 4mts long then surly its ok canterlivered.
Read my first few posts. This is not a diy job. A bad builder has left us in this situation. We need to know how to fix this now.

Right this is what you have to do:
Decide if you want to leave the column in place or get it removed etc.
If you are going to keep it, fix some timber to that column to take the new door, buy a new door.
Decide on what finish you are after. If you want it rendered or another form of rain screen then we can advise on that.
If you want aluminum or another form of rain screen you will need a vented cavity behind.

I still think you should add a little porch on the back.. :D

Right this is what you have to do:
Decide if you want to leave the column in place or get it removed etc.
If you are going to keep it, fix some timber to that column to take the new door, buy a new door.
Decide on what finish you are after. If you want it rendered or another form of rain screen then we can advise on that.
If you want aluminum or another form of rain screen you will need a vented cavity behind.

I still think you should add a little porch on the back.. :D

1. By column do you mean the steel uprights?
2. If yes, do I have the option to remove it? I thought it supports the beam.
3. What finish? Something that is most easy to diy unless we find some good tradesman. If it is easy to DIY I don't mind paying more for the product.
4. What are the advantages of a porch? I would like to add a porch but does it need planning/building regs? Is it easy to DIY? Some 'pictures/videos for dummies' type would very helpful.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back