WEDI Tray Drain Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hope you can help.

I had a new bathroom put in last year and the walk in shower has a WEDI Tray (that's what the builder called it).

We frequently get a bad egg smell in that bathroom if the shower hasn't been used for a couple of days (it isn't the main bathroom) and the smell is coming from the drain in the shower.

I took the metal cover off and there was a fair amount of hair and smell so I've given it s clean. However, I'm unsure about the plastic but that fits inside. I assume it operates a bit like a u-bend in that water collects inside it then runs under the lip (it's like a cup inside a cup) and then into the drain.

But there's a fairly big gap all around the plastic bit, which just leads directly to the open drain. I'm assuming the smell is coming from the drain as it is essentially open to the air. Should there be some sort of seal or something to close the gap that can be seen in the photo?

Cheers

IMG_20170814_180805.jpg

Sponsored Links
Is the central bit not full of water? There is definitely always a trap on these, is the bit you've removed just a grill?

Yes, the central but had water in it - I had just cleaned it when I took the photo. All that was on top of this was the metal grille.

My understanding is the water would stop the smells from the drain, like a normal u-bend, but because there is space all around the plastic, the main pipe is essentially open to the air.

Does the central bit not twist-seal down, and form a trap as it's a tube section going down into the trap? Which once you run water into it should seal. Or are you saying the 'gap' is round the outside 100mm section?

Sponsored Links
Yes, the gap is around the entire trap. The plastic bit that fills with water is in 2 parts and they do screw together. It just looks like there should be some form of rubber seal or something around it.

I have had many issues with the quality of the work done which is why I'm questioning it. The builder and I are no longer in contact so can't ask him...

If water definitely flows away when you pour it only into the middle section, then you may just be able to silicone the outer gap and fix it, but without knowing the trap model and looking at the diagram for it I can't be sure. Also cant think how/why it would have been fitted wrongly to that extent.

I'll double check in the morning that it does effectively drain just through the middle. I didn't want to go sealing anything without checking I hadn't misunderstood the issue :)

Quick update on this one. Spoken to WEDI and it seems I'm missing a rubber o ring. They are being good enough to send one out free of cost so fingers crossed that solves the issue.

Got the rubber seal. Doesn't fit anywhere useful so not sure what bit they were thinking of.

I'm gonna run a lip of sealant around the gap to see if it removes the issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back