Weekend picture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So whats up here then?

memwh.jpg

Sponsored Links
looks like red, yellow, blue out, but only red and blue in (plus G&Y earth to terminal)

I can't see the Neutral, has it got one? Or is it a 3-phase switchfuse being used on a single-phase circuit, with a fused neutral?

Also you can get plastic cartidge-fuseholders to fit in replacement for those rewirable ceramics.

I can't see the Neutral, has it got one? Or is it a 3-phase switchfuse being used on a single-phase circuit, with a fused neutral?
You've got it in one, John, The supply is the 1.5mm² 6243Y you can just see at the top, as you can see, the yellow is not connected. Red is phase, blue is neutral. Both carriers are fitted with 5A fuse wire

Also you can get plastic cartidge-fuseholders to fit in replacement for those rewirable ceramics.

Not really an issue here, its only really being used as an isolator, the circuit is protected at either 6A or 10A (cant remember) at the local dist board. It must have been a three phase warm air blower at some point, or wired in prep for a 3phase one, and then re-used as single phase without thinking too much about how neutral is connected!!

Also the brown (or black) fibre cover is missing off the supply terminals.
(But maybe you removed it to take the picture).

Sponsored Links
And how many of these MEM switchfuses have we seen that have been mis-wired with the icomming supply connected to the TOP of the fuses & the load connected to the lower terminals because the original installer couldnt be bothered to route the wires around the inside of the enclosure so took the easy way out?

I nearly got biten by one lastweek wired like that ... fuse carriers live even though the isolator was OFF and open :eek:

And how many of these MEM switchfuses have we seen that have been mis-wired with the icomming supply connected to the TOP of the fuses & the load connected to the lower terminals because the original installer couldnt be bothered to route the wires around the inside of the enclosure so took the easy way out?

I nearly got biten by one lastweek wired like that ... fuse carriers live even though the isolator was OFF and open :eek:
Siemens bottle fuses always wired that way. Fuse then isolator. Mainly as the fuse holder screws direct into bus bar but as a result I always test may have been wired by a German!

...may have been wired by a German!

Ah - that will be those Germans who thought it would be clever to wire all their machines and control panels in red wire and not use any wire markers/numbers. Fault finding was a nightmare ! :evil:

Ah - that will be those Germans who thought it would be clever to wire all their machines and control panels in red wire and not use any wire markers/numbers. Fault finding was a nightmare ! :evil:

That is frightenly familiar..... one of the machines for which I am the design engineer has around 10,000m of 1.0mm, 2.5mm & 6.0mm all in black BUT each wire has a number & I have arranged the numbers in groups for different votages, function etc.

This beastie takes 4 guys around 8 weeks to wire. My 'masters' came up with the bright idea that not fitting the wire numbers would shave several days off the wiring time :LOL: until I pointed out that it would add several WEEKS to the test & debug time! :oops:

Ah it all depends on the spec supplied to the panel builder, I don't like building panels without wire markers so added them when I built a panel where they were not shown on the drawing. I learnt the hard way as it took 2 days to remove them. Now I double check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back