Weep vents?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

Would weep vents help these bricks dry out. There is no air bricks in the house and this area just doesn't dry out.

Or could I just drill some holes?

Cheers.

Attachments

• 20180314_192833.jpg
    20180314_192833.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 342
Sponsored Links
Looks like those bricks are below the DPC, in which case they should be frost resistant anyway, so there's no need for them to be dry. Air bricks are not relevant to this. Are there any problems or are you just concerned they are wet outside?

Just concerned. No other house appears to have this on the street. I added the acos last month to try and solve the problem. Seemed to work for about 2 weeks and now they are really wet again. Some are starting to go green

I think I will get a surveyor to take a look.

Do any of the other houses have a patio at that level? Maybe it's just splashing or water soaking up from underneath if the fall goes the wrong way.
Or maybe the other houses have a patio too high (up to dpc level) so they can't see the problem!
On a new house it should be 6 inches or 2 brick courses below, so presumably what youhave isn't original.

Sponsored Links
I've just realise you have an entire 3 page thread where everyone is telling you this is fine, and you've still shelled out money on a non problem and are planning to spend even more?
Do yourself a favour and find something else to worry about. Don't spend a penny more on this.

Yeah I am a worrier

Your damp course is working perfectly. If you ever see prolonged damp brickwork above your DPC it would then be worth investigating.

Have a search for brick durability the bricks below damp will be F2 rated and can withstand wet, freezing conditions fine.

Thanks CJ. Will do. The bricks below. Look exactly the same as the bricks above.

Thanks CJ. Will do. The bricks below. Look exactly the same as the bricks above.

Which if only being a single skin is better as in that case they'd all be F2 rated and this would minimise the risk of rain penetration through to the inside.

It gets damp near the bricks. The picture attached shows this. It is starting to dry out a bit as no rain for two days. Although the picture is old. I have fitted the acos since then. Although no change.

Attachments

• 20171227_164130.jpg
    20171227_164130.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 253
CJ how can I work out if the bricks below are F2 rated or not. They look the same as the ones above. If I could 1ork this out it would put my mind at ease

It gets damp near the bricks. The picture attached shows this. It is starting to dry out a bit as no rain for two days. Although the picture is old. I have fitted the acos since then. Although no change.
Well it looks like the concrete slab has a DPM so that discounts that as causing moisture transfer. But if there are any drains under the garage or your mains water pipe, then they could be a potential source of water from under the garage.

The problem you seem to have there is that the wall is being kept damp by the ground at the front and rear of it. Your house wall are normally cavity so have a void behind the brick to prevent damp migration and allow drying. Your not getting that with a single skin wall. If the house walls are just as damp, then its the damp ground under the patio that is the cause, and its natural.

Don't get bogged down in FL ratings. Its a facing brick, its frost proof. Anyway that rating has nothing to do with water penetration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back