weight limit, floating floor with celotex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya folks

im raising the floor in my garage, partitioning it to use as an office. Im looking at ways of raising the floor and insulating it. I have two options:
  • build a timber frame and insulate between the joists with celotex, keeping them raised off the concrete floor (which i will paint with some damp proof membrane). However im concerned with ventilation, not sure how to combat this, dont really want to be knocking brick to the outside if i can help it.
  • build a floating floor, 100mm celotex and then 22mm chipboard over the top of it, then flooring on top
Id prefer to do the FF as it seems easier, quicker. But, on the otherside of the new room im going to put an exercise bike (55kg) which be in place permanently, and of course will have me on top of it (85kg).
Will the FF option be strong enough to hold the weight of the bike and me over the years?

thanks people

andy

Sponsored Links
More than strong enough. Essentially that celotex stuff is what you would lay a slab ontop of - so 100mm thick concrete over the whole area. As such, no problems with what your putting onto it. Just make sure that the floor that your putting the celotex on does not have any muck on it or snots of cement / concrete, as the celotex might not absorb the raised level and will leave perhaps a corner of your floor sticking up a little - you know, 10mm or something. Which is all fine, until you put your skirting board on it !

Sponsored Links
PIR insulatio a do vary quite a bit between manufacturers. Of all that I've used celotex is the one that would perhaps best absorb floor irregularities like protrusions because it crumbles more than other brands.. That's not to say it's no good for bearing a spread load.. It surely is. Just, as Paul says, lay your PIR board and walk over it checking for it rocking before laying your floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back