Weight limit for Blum style (kitchen cabinet) hinges?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So in a new build space, we may wish to effectively build a false wall 1M away from the block wall.
This will be for storage and the frame work is 2x2 or 2x4.
Height around 3m

We will be cladding most of the walls with ply or MDF.
However I need storage so would like close to invisible doors forming a wall.

I was thinking 10 feet sheets of 18mm ply maybe cut to 1M width hung on kitchen style hinges and either meter cupboard style latches or the push to open style catches. I can use steel strip to hold the bottoms of the door openings in place. Underfloor heating makes fixing to the floor awkward but I can cope with a ply base if needed.

How heavy is an 18mm sheet of 1x 3 m ply? Would traditional hinges be better? I need the outside to look pretty featureless.

TIA

Sponsored Links
So in a new build space, we may wish to effectively build a false wall 1M away from the block wall.
This will be for storage and the frame work is 2x2 or 2x4.
Height around 3m

We will be cladding most of the walls with ply or MDF.
However I need storage so would like close to invisible doors forming a wall.

I was thinking 10 feet sheets of 18mm ply maybe cut to 1M width hung on kitchen style hinges and either meter cupboard style latches or the push to open style catches. I can use steel strip to hold the bottoms of the door openings in place. Underfloor heating makes fixing to the floor awkward but I can cope with a ply base if needed.

How heavy is an 18mm sheet of 1x 3 m ply? Would traditional hinges be better? I need the outside to look pretty featureless.

TIA
Mdf and 6 hinges per door , ply will warp over 3m.

Sponsored Links
https://www.scfhardware.co.uk/product/concealed-heavy-duty-wooden-cabinet-door-hinge-j95/ says 3 hinges can go up to 40kg

How heavy is an 18mm sheet of 1x 3 m ply?
40 kg
Would traditional hinges be better?
I think so, and with framing too, but agree with foxhole that you should use MDF, painted with a moisture proof paint (like an MDF kitchen door would be) and use more than the bare minimum number of hinges

One of my walls is hinged and uses standard butt hinges. No one notices

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back