weight of asbestos

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there,i have an average size 3 bed bungalow with a brick outer skin with internal skin and all internal walls made of asbestos,the asbestos panels are 50mm thick consisting of 2 sheets of asbestos with what looks like a straw material sprayed with cement in the middle
my question is does anyone have any idea of the weight of all these panels.(maybe there are people out there have had this removed and know what theres weighed.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Board is about 12_- 15kg m2 and the straw board about 10kg m2 per 25mm thickness

Sponsored Links
Jesus! Bet that’s a blast when putting up shelves! It will be fine unless drilled or sanded. All asbestos fibres are bonded with the cement. Got to cost an arm and a leg to get removed?

Woody has been very specific for you so I shall avoid a random guess!

simoneve, good evening.

As noseal, it looks as if the central core is Stramit, this was a chopped straw material bound with cement, used in internal partitions and as a flat roof material, the roof Stramit were bound with metal channel [seriously dangerous if wet!!]

I do not follow why you need the weight of the panels you have.

Having said that, a quick Google search revealed the following site [makes for engrossing bedtime reading?]

http://postwarbuildingmaterials.be/material/cladding-and-sandwich-panels/

In there, you will find all sorts of Stramit cored proprietary materials [from all over the place, Pre-Eurozone]

I have heard of "Asbestos based Paper" being applied to Stramit, but cannot say that I have seen Asbestos faced Stramit, but given the information available in the Web Site above, and the availability of the mix of material used?

If indeed your walls have Asbestos, have you had ALL!!! rooms tested?? [suggest that would be a prudent move -- Health and Safety ---]

Ken.

hi ken i have had the whole bungalow tested so i am fully aware of what i am up against.The reason i want to know how much all these panels might weigh is just to calculate approximately what the cost could be for a skip to take all this away.

Are you sure a skip is going to be the cheapest way?
Last time I got a price is was something stupid like £500 for the skip £90 for each extra tonn.
If you take it to a landfill I think it's only £70. If you ask a removal company to collect it it might be cheaper.

Also check your local council as sometimes they offer free collection.

I don't think you can just bung it is a skip. This would be licenced work requiring a licenced contractor and tenting up of the property whilst removal is in progress with air clearance tests at the end of it.

Waste transfer is the least of the costs.

This is classed as unlicensed asbestos removal,and as such does not have to be carried out by a licensed company.Obviously the skip company have to know that they are hauling away asbestos and when it is taken, weighed and disposed of they produce the necessary paperwork as proof of safe disposal,and obviously all safety precautions must be adhered to.

This is classed as unlicensed asbestos removal,and as such does not have to be carried out by a licensed company.Obviously the skip company have to know that they are hauling away asbestos and when it is taken, weighed and disposed of they produce the necessary paperwork as proof of safe disposal,and obviously all safety precautions must be adhered to.

Have you had that confirmed professionally?

That type of construction is normally AIB which is a lot more hazardous with finer fibres and requires different handling and transportation.

hi woody,i have had this professionally confirmed and tested as being ac board and not aib.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back