Weird French doors with window handle and standard door handle...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've moved into a property and I have French doors at the back of the property with a window handle on one door and a standard door handle on the other.... Is this normal practice ? If not, is it possible to replace the window door handle with a standard door handle to correct the situation?

Pictures added for context..
IMG_0339.jpeg
IMG_0340.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Do you have some pics of the narrow side of each door with the hardware showing.

Blup

Does the window handle actually do anything? - it’s mechanism, if there is one is behind the dummy mullion.

usually the slave French door handle operates the shoot bolts top and bottom - how does your slave door get locked to the frame - manual shoot bolts top and bottom?

Sponsored Links
There isn't a key for it so I've no idea if it actually works as a lock or not. The bolts do latch through the top and bottom though. Is it normal to not have a locking mechanism on the slave door?

Sorry should have clarified that, yes the handle is used to latch the bolts on the top and bottom

Sorry should have clarified that, yes the handle is used to latch the bolts on the top and bottom
To learn any more you would need to unscrew the dummy mullion on the slave door and see if the lock has a full length faceplate.

in theory you could replace with a new lock set, but the chances of it fitting the grooves, rebates, cutouts etc on your doors is remote TBH

Yea that's fair. Thanks for the feedback, its much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Back