Welding - gasless flux core

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been given a mig welder with flux core wire. As far as I know you should change the polarity but this machine does not seem to have any obvious means to do so. and I don't know if it has been done by other means.

Is checking the polarity as simple as using a multimeter and switching it on ?

Sponsored Links
Just a guess but would you connect the earth to the positive and the torch to the earth terminals?

Machines that do both gas and gas less systems have a quick change polarity terminal.......for gasless the torch has to be negative.
I'd have thought that your machine was set up for one or the other but a multimeter will tell you - set it to 100v for protection although the actual voltage is much less.
Only my personal findings.......gasless is a bit strong for really thin metals - the arc seems to be more powerful;
With gasless, pull the torch towards you, as per a stick welder for best results.
John :)

Just a guess but would you connect the earth to the positive and the torch to the earth terminals?
like redo the wires inside the machine ? I have heard of this being done, but is the welding earth not connected to the mains earth ? and could it just suddenly blow my f****ng heed off .. LOL

anyway, I will see what the multi meter says the morrow.

I believe you can weld with flux core with positive feed but it will give more splatter ? on the other hand I have read that it doesn't make much difference on thin wires (and the spool that is in there is pretty thin)

Sponsored Links
I've just bought a new gassless welder, the terminals can be switched (gassless torch -ve, mig torch +ve).

You can weld gassless on a normal mig but the spatter is bad an poorer penetration.

You can re-wire a normal Mig but you will have trouble with the trigger if it's not a Euro Torch.

That was final straw for me, new welder, gassless capable and Euro Torch connection.

@Munroast please don't follow my suggestion without seeking professional advice.
My suggestion was a questionable guess and not an instruction.

@Munroast please don't follow my suggestion without seeking professional advice.
My suggestion was a questionable guess and not an instruction.
I have a very open mind about anything I read on this forum - I thankyou for your input.

Back