Well played Miss Raducanu

Some of the penalties were worthy of a Sunday league team, top notch players at their peak should be able to hoof a ball into a net or at least have a good go at it

I'm with you on that but coming on cold just to take penalties in a high pressure final is down to bad management more than player fault.

Sponsored Links
I know she's struggling, but is this the worst excuse in history?

"It was my first day-match I have played in a year. That is different.

"I need to practise training outside a bit more. The lights, conditions, shadows... it is really hard to see the ball, I found towards the end.

Sponsored Links
To be fair, it can't be easy seeing a ball being tw@tted at over 100mph, let alone hitting back with any degree of accuracy. Especially under artificial lights.

That is what elite tennis involves! It's not meant to be easy. It's exactly the same for her opponent. And it wasn't under artificial lights. That seemed to be her complaint. Having to play outside in the sunshine. Outside courts are often in shadow.

1707753383393.png

That is what elite tennis involves! It's not meant to be easy. It's exactly the same for her opponent. And it wasn't under artificial lights. That seemed to be her complaint. Having to play outside in the sunshine. Outside courts are often in shadow.

View attachment 332709

To be fair, it wasn't clear what she meant, from your clipped quote of hers either.
The photo makes everything a lot clearer (y)

"I need to practise training outside a bit more. The lights, conditions, shadows... it is really hard to see the ball, I found towards the end.

She's saying it's different playing outdoor matches, as she was in the picture, than an indoor match...which it is: artificial light is not the same thing as it won't cast shadows on court, and there's no wind factor to take into consideration in approaching the ball. Giver her a break. point. made. New balls, please.

She's saying it's different playing outdoor matches, as she was in the picture, than an indoor match...which it is: artificial light is not the same thing as it won't cast shadows on court, and there's no wind factor to take into consideration in approaching the ball. Giver her a break. point. made. New balls, please.

I am very supportive of her. You won't find any other posts of mine criticising her. I understand that she is not the strongest physically and has often been prone to injury. But when an elite player complains it is too difficult to play outside, or that she's not used to playing outside :LOL: That's what practice courts are for.

She is carrying chronic injuries and probably won't make it back to winning top tournaments. It's not all about mental strength. Sad in one sense but she has that victory under her belt.

She is still a relative youngster and it cant be easy to have a microphone stuck in your face after a poor game and expected to give an informative response.

I am very supportive of her. You won't find any other posts of mine criticising her. I understand that she is not the strongest physically and has often been prone to injury. But when an elite player complains it is too difficult to play outside, or that she's not used to playing outside :LOL: That's what practice courts are for.
Perhaps. But some players are better indoors, some prefer grass. Nobody beats Nadal on clay. Federer was unplayable at Wimbledon in his prime. Andy Murray is broken. Maybe she'll make it back, or the US open was a fluke.

She is carrying chronic injuries and probably won't make it back to winning top tournaments. It's not all about mental strength. Sad in one sense but she has that victory under her belt.

I would bet everything I own that, in the end, she'd say she wouldn't swap her US Open for an OK but "meh" career.

I would bet everything I own that, in the end, she'd say she wouldn't swap her US Open for an OK but "meh" career.
It'd be like winning the Masters and returning to the pro shop

She is still a relative youngster and it cant be easy to have a microphone stuck in your face after a poor game and expected to give an informative response.

I've seen the full interview now. She seems a bit lost to me. None of her usual spark. She says she needs more matches, but is not going to enter any more tournaments before the next big one on 6 March. Some tennis insiders are saying that is the problem, and that instead of just accepting wild cards to the big tournaments and getting knocked out in R1 or R2, she should be dropping down a level and getting match time. On the other hand, doing things her own way worked in the past!

I wouldn't be surprised if her sponsors were pressurising her to compete in the major tournaments to ensure their brand gets the global exposure.

Sponsored Links
Back