wet cavity wall installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to have damp cavity wall installation, when i was doing interior decoration i found the wall to very damp. i cut out a brick a was horrified to find soaking wet cavity wall insulation. my question is how do i get this stuff dried or removed or will it dry through time. i have reroofed the the property.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried a hair dryer through the air bricks?

Other than that, it will probably dry on its own

Sealed in a cavity I really don't think that insulation will dry at all unless you somehow pump a lot of air through it.

Obviously you need to fix the cause of the water ingress. was it a leaky roof ?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice, i have replaced the roof so hope that has stopped any water ingress, i am thinking of taking out bricks to let air into the cavity thats all i can think of..

I seriously don't think " letting air in ' is enough. I think you need to force air through it to dry it out.

Thanks i will look into getting air into the cavity or taking the insulation out
i was never a fan of this type of insulation....

I find this puzzling. My own walls were filled with blown fibre, the fibres having been treated with a water-repellenst silicone. I swept up some of this and put it in the bin, where it got rained on. When I lifted it out of the rain-filled bin, the water just ran straight off it, the fibres were not wetted.

I reckon you have to treat it as if it was a wet wall; find the source of water, which might be penetrating rain through poor pointing, or might be water entering the cavity from a leaking roof or gutter for example; then leave the wall to dry out by the action of fresh air.

Even a wall made of lightweight concrete blocks, which can absorb a lot of water if exposed to rain during build, will dry out in a few months.

Thanks i had to replace the roof slates as they were in poor condition. when i took a handfull of the insulation from inside the wall i could squeeze water from it!! I did think maybe the gable end needs reharled i will need to look at that.

I live in an exposed coastal location, and my weather-facing wall is slate-hung. On a stormy day the water runs off it like a waterfall.

I can imagine this would wet an ordinary brick wall.

Is your wet wall badly exposed?

Yes exposed gable wall i may have to get a builder to look at the rendering on the wall. more expence, houses who needs them... i suppose thats what i get for living in Scotland , this is a rental property i own so need to get it repaired/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back