Cavity wall wet inside

Had another :idea: ...Make a small pitched/ tiled roof behind parapet....then you "only" have 2 small valleys -where you could use tiles or soakers...and an abutment to behind the parapet where you have 2 flashings cut into the render over soakers...and it all sheds water. Sometimes it`s done on old/large chimneys so there is not a long back gutter behind.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your :idea: but there's already a pitched/tiled roof behind the parapet. There are more photos on here (somewhere) where you can see that.

Hoping to get up and have a look this weekend - weather permitting of course. :)

Sponsored Links
Finally got a chance to get a ladder out this weekend and take a look on the roof. Was only a brief look as it was very cold (fingers started to freeze within minutes) and the gutters were full of snowy stuff.

Anyway, on brief inspection couldn't see anything obvious. No cracked tiles, lead flashing looked OK, ridge tiles OK - wish I had seen something because then at least I would have something that I could put right. Now have to wait until the weather improves (again) so that I can get back out and take a closer look.

Meanwhile, I have discovered that the inside of the cavity wall is wetter the colder it is. Assume this is condensation? (There has been water ingress above at some point but think this is a different issue).

We have been having most windows and internal doors open at night and this has resulted in windows which are free from condensation in the mornings (which is brilliant). We don't have trickle vents on the windows so opening them is our only option. We can't, however, seem to stop condensation forming on the inside of the cavity wall.

I have read about DRILL VENTS and wondering if this would help, improve the air flow etc.? Have also read that gable ends can cause problems with condensation because there is no opening at the top of the cavity. Is there anything we can do to rectify this?

This is starting to drive me nuts because I'm at a loss as to know what to do. The leak at the top I can find and cure, but I don't know what to do about the condensation. If anyone has had a similar problem and can help that would be absolutely fantastic :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back