Cavity wall wet inside

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to sort out problems with damp/condensation in my mum's lounge for months now and am beginning to tear my hair out! Done loads of searching online but haven't found any answers, thought I'd give this forum a try as there seems to be loads of useful advice given on here.
Very briefly, it is a 1930s bungalow (I think) with a cavity wall and the problem area is a corner of a projecting bay window. The cavity around the window had been filled at some point with insulation but this has now all been removed and some of it was very wet. The wooden upright panels forming the corner of the bay and part of the cill were rotten, these have now been replaced. The wall underneath the window was also damp and the plaster has been removed and replaced. The guttering has been checked, top half of the wall is rendered and bottom half is brick - apart from a few of the bricks being a bit weathered all seems to be OK. UPVC window seal was beginning to break down and this has also been replaced.
In this very cold weather noticed that the new wood was wet in the mornings (where the upright met the cill). Removed the new wooden upright panels and found that the wall inside the cavity was absolutely soaking wet. The moisture seems to have migrated across the cavity to an inner pillar (behind the wooden uprights) and this was also very wet, which is presumably why the wood rotted in the first place. The pillar has been removed temporarily (render was shot anyway) and the bricks are being left to dry. The cavity has been left open for a few days now (with the heating on) but shows no signs of drying out. The wall is very wet from top to bottom. Also noticed that wooden lintel was rotten in the far corner.
I am at a loss as to what to do about it. There is an air brick below the DPC in the front wall and this is clear. The cavity is also clear, some of the wall ties looking a bit rusty but apart from that can't see what's causing the problem. I'm wondering if there are several things going on - water ingress at the top which caused the lintel to rot? Condenstaion or water coming through wall further down? Think part of the problem is water running down the edge of the window (which is inside the cavity) and hitting the cill.
Someone has suggested putting an air vent at the bottom of the internal wall (but not linked to the outside), thinking warm air would go through and keep the cavity warm and stop the condensation (?) Having considered this, wondering if that would just make the problem worse. Surely the warm air would carry more moisture into the cavity? What about installing drill vents on the external wall?
Sorry about the long post but bit of a complicated problem. I have found a myriad of things in one small area - some of which I have put right but some are still defeating me. Post may be too long winded and complicated for anyone to help me but I hope not. :(

Sponsored Links
Hi Amy501

I'm sure you will get help here, they are a pretty friendly and knowledgable group.

Wotan

What sort of roof covering is there on top of the bay window - does it appear sound and is there a good flashing from it to the wall above?
John :)

Hi John
Bay window is covered by a red tiled roof and there is a concrete arch built over the top of the window. Tiles/roof were checked back in the summer and all seemed to be OK. The roof over the window joins the main roof and is not located against a vertical wall.

Can't see the flashing above the window where it joins the wall as this has been rendered over. There is a curved strip of metal (not lead as it rusts) on top of the window. When I looked inside the cavity I could see the underside of this metal and it was very wet (possibly contributing to the problem but not the entire story as I could also see water droplets on the wall above it).

I want to get outside and take another really good look but need to wait for the snow and ice to go away. :confused:

Need to get mum's room decorated but can't do it until I can get to the bottom of this.

Sponsored Links
Would you be good enough to post a picture if you can?
I don't like the idea of that bit of rusting metal, and I'm wondering if water could be ingressing from a window sill above, and running down.
What a beautiful county you live in - absolutely adore it. :cool:

Thanks for your prompt reply. Will try to take a couple of pics tomorrow, not sure how to post them on here but will have a go.

Yep, lovely part of the country to live in - only a mile or two from the sea.

Lorraine :)
(Female DIYer but City and Guilds trained in Carpentry and Joinery)

Some of it yes.

Have read up loads on condenstion created by 'living' and we try to do the best we can to minimise it. Mum gets loads of condensation on windows (all double glazed).
Try not to dry washing inside unless absolutely necessary, if we do it is always confined to the kitchen with windows open and dehumidifier on. We try to ventilate as much as possible but nothing we do seems to have that much effect.

Feeling is that the wet walls are due to condensation, but also that there has been a leak up above at some point.

I have come across one problem after another (some created by previous owners). Can't believe the number of faults in one room and all I wanted to do was decorate it !

Seems like a straightforward case of condensation, that will rot the timber and leave corners around window wet, you will not solve it without good ventilation and avoiding drying clothes in the house.
Windows open dehumidifier on, sorry but thats just plain stupid as it will have zero effect.

Sorry, but thought having windows open was good ventilation? If not what else can we do instead? (We know not to dry clothes inside but as we don't do that very often, we also know that that will not solve the problem completely).

We leave as many windows open as possible at night and during the day (depending on the weather). Also there is an identical corner on the opposite side of the window and this is as dry as a bone - no rotting wood and no damp patches anywhere. If it's entirely down to condensation why isn't it in this corner too?

Hi John,

Have taken a few pics (snow included) and hopefully you'll be able to see them OK.

We did an experiment last night and left nearly every window in the house open (only a little bit because it's so cold) and room doors slightly ajar to create an airflow. Result - hardly any condensation on the windows this morning. Normally all windows running with water.

In the problem room there was no wet down the edge of the window (inside the cavity), so presumably this was condensation and with improved ventilation this has disappeared. Also, looked inside the cavity and the wet on the metal that I could see before has also gone, so presumably this was condensation too.

Would have expected to see some drying of the walls inside the cavity, but these are still as wet as they were when I removed the wood several days ago. This is making me think that the wet on the walls is not condensation (at least not all of it anyway).

The only difference between the two corners is the fact that there is guttering above the wet corner but none above the dry corner. As I said in a previous post it was all checked in the summer, a few small cracks in the arch over the window were found and filled but no major problems identified. Think I need to have another look but it's snowing at the moment!

The only thing I'm not sure about is that if it is a leak from the gutter, would it make the whole wall wet? Assumed a leak would cause a line of wet where the water had dribbled down?

Should I try to dry the walls out with a heater/dehumidifier and then watch to try and see where the damp/wet is coming from?

Incidentally, UPVC windows were installed over 20 years ago and no rot/wet was found then. (At least I don't think there was anything there, I wasn't around at the time so don't know for sure). But presumably if anything had been found it would have been rectified at the time. The rotten wood I removed had obviously been decaying for quite some time and am wondering now if it all started after the windows were replaced. I found that the small window in the damp corner had not been sealed at all down one edge and water had been leaking through here causing the wall underneath to become damp. As I said, lots of problems in one room.

Thanks for your help :)

Lorraine

Hello Lorraine and thanks for posting those pics.
Due to the rot on the left hand side of the window, there has clearly been water ingress for some time.
If your problem was entirely due to condensation then I think there would be evidence of trouble on both sides.
Its a fairly unusual construction this, at least in my part of the world but looking at the side elevation picture I think there are problems where the short length of guttering touches the wall. I feel that water is getting in at that point. I'm not all too sure about the condition of the lead valley at that point also. I wouldn't be surprised if the lead is short there, pointing is missing and water has been bleaching underneath.
It would be worth while - weather permitting, to remove the soffit board (thats the horizontal bit, below the overhang) and see if water has been lying there.
Its also worth checking that the painted rendering is sound, and hasn't 'blown' away from the brickwork.
Drying the place out is a problem in these temperatures because dehumidifiers aren't much good below 10 deg - so keep the heating on, and as the thaw commences see if you can see any fresh traces of water coming in.
Just some points to ponder!

Thanks for that John. Will wait for the weather to improve and then take a REALLY good look. In the meantime will get on with decorating the rest of the room. Will let you know what I find in due course.

Hope the weather is OK in your neck of the woods.

14" snow here but finally the tiny road to my village is open. There's been a thaw all day so things seem to be looking up...for now!
Hope the decorating goes well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back