Cavity wall wet inside

Now I see the pics I think the guttering is suspect, any blockage behind window elevation [and yours looks quite high and likely to collect a large amount of leaf litter]will result in regular spillage over gutter or flashing causing long term damage.Any high [taller than guttering] tree's within 100metres?
Could not see any guttering to garage does it drain to rear?
Ventilation to rooms should be permanent, trickle vents to double glazed units and wall mounted vents.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for looking at the pics Foxhole.

Gutters are regularly checked for leaves and debris and have never found much in the gutter above the window. There aren't any tall trees nearby so guess that's why.

The garage roof does drain to a gutter at the rear.

Guttering is cast iron and probably needs replacing, flashing was inspected in the summer but needs closer inspection now that we have found this problem. Just waiting for the weather to improve a bit, too icy for ladders at the moment :confused:

Looking at the pictures, it looks to me like water is coming in from above. I see you have a false gable abutting a roof slope. I bet water is getting in between the two. A lot of skilled leadwork might overcome this poor design, or you could knock it down and redetail the roof which would be better.

Thanks for that JohnD.

There is lead flashing behind the 'false gable end' but it's probably defective somewhere. Knocking down (whilst probably the best solution) is out of the question really as my mum is a pensioner and funds wont stretch to that - hey ho.

Just have to find the fault and remedy instead, luckily we know a man who is excellent at leadwork.

Lorraine :)

Sponsored Links
Hello Lorraine and thanks for posting those pics.
that point. I'm not all too sure about the condition of the lead valley at that point also. I wouldn't be surprised if the lead is short there, pointing is missing and water has been bleaching underneath.
Just some points to ponder!
John :)
Where`s the pics of the leadwork :confused: :cry:

No pic of leadwork posted. Think John meant he wasn't sure of the condition of the lead valley because he couldn't see it. Not easy to photograph from ground level and still too icy for ladders.

Lorraine

Once the weather improves, check the condition of the flashing between the sloping roof (the hip) where it contacts the arch.....especially in that suspect corner.
The tiles on the arch - (which would normally would be called the water table) need to be sound too. Ideally there should be some slate in there (called soakers).
Its also going to be vital to keep that corner clean from normal roof debris - its my guess it never fully dries out.
Cheers!
John :)

Thanks, appreciate all the help. Will get up and take a good look as soon as I can.
Lorraine :)

If it was me i would lose that hideous gable parapet and build a small flattie. I am never a fan of parapet arrangements as they are frequently troublesome.

Probably the best solution, but mum quite likes the feature (makes her house look a bit different from all the others around here) and she can't really afford to have any major work done.

Not sure if it is an original feature or a later add on - presumably the latter since no one else has one :?:

Cavity wall is finally beginning to dry out a bit, it has been exposed to the air for a couple of weeks now.

I've been a bit busy with work so haven't yet had a chance to get the ladders out and investigate the roof outside. As soon as I've done that I'll post on here - might help someone else with a similar problem. :)

Not sure if it is an original feature or a later add on - presumably the latter since no one else has one :?:
I know someone who does things like that to their houses :eek: ..all look bloody awful and out of place :LOL: That looks like a Norfolk (dutch style) with blisters :oops:

Ha, blisters :LOL:
My parents bought the house with the parapet but dad added the blisters because he wanted to make the bungalow look like a cottage! I've never liked the lumps and my dad has since died and left my mum with them. :(

I was thinking, with you being a chippy and knowing a good leadworker....how about constructing a wooden shell to follow the shaped gable closely maybe 50mm below the parapet and then back to the roof - then the whole thing is covered with a sheet metal ( not necessarily lead) parapet and all ..like half the dome @ st. Paul`s :idea: . OK maybe a bit major , but it would surely end all the aggro?

Excellent suggestion but a bit major for my mum, explained it to her and she's not that keen. She likes her parapet!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back