Wet patch around upvc door frame, help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I recently stripped some really old wallpaper from my kitchen and it is currently nearly all bare plaster

Last night during the bad weather I noticed wet patches on the plaster around the door

I have attached some photos to show.

has anyone got any advice on how to fix as i dont want to get it all re plastered and it wreck the new plaster

Thanks in advance
Martyn

20161122_083136.jpg

20161122_083145.jpg

20161122_083153.jpg

Sponsored Links
ill grab them when i get home from work,
just the same sections outside or just the whole door ?
Thanks

Same sections. I'm guessing the weather seals aren't doing their job, but it could be coming through from above. Also do you know if it's cavity or solid wall and approx date of construction

Sponsored Links
Ive got a few pictures of the outside here,
Im going to say this part of the house was built in the 60s-70s
im going to guess its a solid wall but im not too sure

IMG-20161123-WA0000.jpg IMG-20161123-WA0001.jpg IMG-20161123-WA0002.jpg IMG-20161123-WA0003.jpg IMG-20161123-WA0005.jpg IMG-20161123-WA0006.jpg IMG-20161123-WA0007.jpg IMG-20161123-WA0008.jpg IMG-20161123-WA0009.jpg IMG-20161123-WA0010.jpg

Probably cavity wall in that case. But it looks to me like those seals are some kind of foam that's coming out. Does it look like water could get past them if you turned a hose on it?
The best solution is probably dig it out and reseal with some decent flexible frame sealant.

post edited

OP,
In the meantime, your pics dont show clearly how the frame is sealed - best to remove all old sealant, and renew with fresh sealant.
Your frame was installed too far forward - its should be recessed 75mm back from the brick facework.
What is the black band (?) at the base of the wall?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is the black band (?) at the base of the wall?
Tarmac ? Asphalt ? My monitor isn't very good, or the poteen's making me blind:unsure:

Last edited:
I am going to dig it all out and reseal it, maybes put some foam in before if there is gaps

The black band is what I believe to be the previous owners idea of either pretend damp proofing or just silly decorators eye.

The reason I suggest it's damp proofing is they had a new driveway put in some time over the years but it looks like it was laid too high and has had a minor damp issue

As another aside, if you open the door and look at the part of the frame it has revealed, can you see any fixings going into the wall where the damp patches are?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back