Wetroom trap waste pipe type/diameter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm sure this is an easy one for most of you. I've got a waste trap similar to the one pictured, but I can't for the life of me work out what size/type of coupling I'm meant to use to connect to the end of the bent pipe (the wider end). I've got 40mm waste pipe going off to the sewer, and wanted to use solvent weld coupling to connect it to the end of that bent pipe. But it's not standard 40mm, nor is it 50mm, so those couplings don't work, the only option I can think of that's left is to use 50mm to 40mm compression.

The actual diameter is about 48mm. I wanted to avoid compression as I don't trust it, but thought it best to ask here as there's probably a proper way of doing it and a reason why it's not a standard size pipe.

Many thanks in advance :)

$_1.JPG

Sponsored Links
What's the diameter of the smaller end - that might be standard and you cut the larger one off

Where the bend joins the main body, is that a threaded or compression joint? (i.e. if you undo the nut, can you remove the bend and come from there with 40mm waste?)

Its most likely a 50mm solvent weld straight coupler.

Sponsored Links
I meant a solvent weld coupler to go over.
Could be a Mc Alpine shower trap.

Last edited:
Even so... Will 40mm pipe go directly into it? Or a 40mm coupler may go 'into' it and pipe inside that!

Op: what is the internal diameter of that socket? Outer dia is 48mm, yes?

You'll have to cut the socket off the end and use a 40mm universal coupling.

Hi all, thanks for your replies - i've measured again, and the wider end of the pipe has an outside diameter of 50mm (47mm inside). The narrower end of the pipe has outside diameter of 40mm (37mm inside) - so not suitable for solvent weld coupling (as solvent weld pipe is 56mm or 43mm outside diameter).

Where the bend joins the main body, is that a threaded or compression joint? (i.e. if you undo the nut, can you remove the bend and come from there with 40mm waste?)

Hi, the pipe joins the main body by compression joint - the main body is threaded and compresses around the pipe. The hole into which the pipe is inserted has internal diameter of 43mm, and so 40mm solvent weld pipe inserts into it almost perfectly. I did think about just being done with the bent pipe, and running 40mm solvent weld directly from the main body/trap - would the main body/trap be suitable for solvent weld though? Is solvent weld plastic a special type of plastic?

Even so... Will 40mm pipe go directly into it? Or a 40mm coupler may go 'into' it and pipe inside that!

40mm solvent weld pipe fits almost perfectly into the trap (where the bent pipe goes in) as it has an internal diameter of about 43mm.

Op: what is the internal diameter of that socket? Outer dia is 48mm, yes?
The socket on the trap is 43mm internal diameter - the bent pipe measures 37mm and 47mm internal diameter and 40mm and 50mm outside diameter at each end respectively.

Is solvent weld plastic a special type of plastic?

Its a certain type of plastic, it's chemical name is abbreviated to ABS. This and uPVC (another type) can be solvent welded. Traps are usually made from Polypropylene, which is a different type of plastic that cannot be solvent welded.

If the tail will remove at the joint and the main body will accept a 40mm waste pipe, then pipe from there in 40mm. The initial joint onto the trap will have to be using the compression joint, you cannot solvent weld to that trap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back