What’s this thing attached to my water main?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, started work on a new house and I discovered a manhole in the garden with blue mdpe coming from the meter then feeding into this lump and stopcock prior to carrying on to the house in what looks like black mdpe, what is it all? I can see the old disconnected lead main in the pit too.

Attachments

• iOS Image - 10746532.jpg
    iOS Image - 10746532.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 408
Sponsored Links
It's a water meter - the numbers will probably be facing the ground if it's disused

It's a water meter - the numbers will probably be facing the ground if it's disused

Thank you, there’s a meter upstream of the blue mdpe in the pavement so I’m guessing this was an old one that is not in use now. I am relocating where the main enters the house so I should just be able to use a 90’ elbow and take 25mm mdpe to the new location and remove all this stuff I believe?

Yes, it will be obsolete. Is there any chance the supply could be shared? Don’t want to upset any neighbours.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it will be obsolete. Is there any chance the supply could be shared? Don’t want to upset any neighbours.
What makes you think it's disused? Whether it's obsolete is a different question! To check I would close the valve (towards the bottom of the pic) if possible, and see if the kitchen tap dries up. And if it won't turn, do something about it, don't wait till it's needed.
And maybe dig up the old lead pipe sometime, and weigh it in.

What makes you think it's disused?

This:

I discovered a manhole in the garden with blue mdpe coming from the meter then feeding into this lump and stopcock prior to carrying on to the house

I don’t mean disused as in the house water doesn’t pass through it, I mean disused as in it’s an old meter that isn’t read anymore.

This:

I don’t mean disused as in the house water doesn’t pass through it, I mean disused as in it’s an old meter that isn’t read anymore.

I am sure you are right, it was found in a manhole that was under a lot of debris/soil that hasn't been excavated for several years. So I would guess it is the old meter that is no longer read, but the house supply does pass through it. The house was extended in the 80's and the black MDPE at the bottom of the pic matches the supply in the new part of the house. Guessing this was put in once it was extended and the old lead supply disconnected.

haha I thought the same, not sure lead is worth enough for me to dig a 2ft trench to get it!!!
I know, that was meant as a joke. When I was younger I would have done it for fun, but not nowadays!
To be serious, I trust you have another stopcock somewhere else.

I know, that was meant as a joke. When I was younger I would have done it for fun, but not nowadays!
To be serious, I trust you have another stopcock somewhere else.
I have a stopcock in the house, but plan on relocating the main. So I believe I can isolate supply at the meter upstream and then work on this supply to run a new main to a new location, which I will then have a stopcock on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back