What am I missing in this wood burner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this wood burner in my study which is not being used after purchase and looks like only shell and seems to be missing some parts. I have another one in living room which got bricks, ash tray and mesh system to push ash down to tray.

Not sure that is expected in all wood burners..?Or my previous owners removed some part which I need to buy now to get this burner working..? Or it could be that this model have only these parts only..?

Any inputs will be helpful . Please see pics. Thanks.

WhatsApp Image 2022-05-03 at 12.01.27 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-03 at 12.00.58 PM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-03 at 12.01.07 PM.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Normally there would be vermiculite cheeks at the sides and back, resting on those shelves.
Multi fuel burners have an ash pan and some sort of riddling system, occasionally wood only burners have a flat floor.
However, the top baffle is in place so the stove should work, but it will be difficult to clean out. The sides will get very hot too. Firms on ebay will cut cheeks to size.
John :)

Ok. looks like I need fire bricks to both sides and back, which I believe will rest on the projected platform on 3 sides..
But that need to be taper to the edges due to slightly round shaped stove shell.
Also need ash tray which will rest on the bottom to collect ash
May be a a strong metal mesh over which fire wood will burn..

riddle system may not be needed as it doesn't have any lever mechanism on the side to push ash down to tray..??

Is there a name for this model./style.?
I can't see any manufacturer name any where..But I have another one which seems to be a replica of a well known brand's model

Sponsored Links
It's a little difficult Brett, just looking at those pictures!
Maybe those shelves are to hold a grid for the fuel to rest on - I now see the sides of the stove are curved and that could mean that the cheeks aren't necessary.
Also, the air inlets would need to be below the fuel (ideally) and those lower shelves could have supported an ash pan?
No side riddle mechanism being visible would indicate to me that it's for wood burning only.
As for identifying the thing, do check underneath for any embossed lettering on the castings.

Normally there would be vermiculite cheeks at the sides and back, resting on those shelves.
Multi fuel burners have an ash pan and some sort of riddling system, occasionally wood only burners have a flat floor.
However, the top baffle is in place so the stove should work, but it will be difficult to clean out. The sides will get very hot too. Firms on ebay will cut cheeks to size.

Mine is not multi fuel (at least installation I have) not sure if this model can be used for both fuel types..?

I think that one is for wood only (theoretically), multifuel stoves I have seen have riddles and slotted grilles, ash pan beneath. They have all had side cheeks too, but I guess that’s because they burn hotter. My theory, that one!

Ive not seen a cast iron stove that didn't have some form of plates ,either cast iron or a form of fire brick lining the firebox. Their purpose is to reflect the heat back into the fire for a cleaner burn and to stop the body of the stove burning away so I would say yours are missing.

Ours is a multi-fuel stove, but we only burn wood (kiln-dried). I think the advice to fit vermiculite bricks to the sides and back is good, and the stuff is cheap to buy and easy to cut to size, which is what I did.
Although ours has a riddle but I find it unnecessary with wood burning as it is recommended to leave ash on the bottom anyway, and I assume that a bed of ash might protect the metal bottom of the stove from heat damage.

on all 3 sides looks like its metal (cast iron?) plates than fire bricks?? probably both will do same job? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back