What are decorative black wooden slats infront of house called?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What are those black wooden slats called?
house.png

If I want to repaint those what paint should I use?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Mock tudor beams. That's what I call them.
façade beams.

Coat in Zinsser all coat or Dulux Ultimate Opaque black.

Other paints you can use I guess. Depends what on there already

It is imitation half-timbering, an ornamental feature intended to bear some resemblance to 500 year old construction.

I would use a water-repellent stain, as sold for sheds.

If it has previously had some other kind of treatment, it would be better to use the same again. Sadolin is quite popular.

I used Bedec Barn Paint on mine. Wonderful stuff and needs little preparation if any.

Sponsored Links
It looks more like the house has been braced to combat severe structual problems than a preserved and well rstored home from the Tudor era.

It wouldn't blend in very well on this page

It looks more like the house has been braced to combat severe structual problems than a preserved and well rstored home from the Tudor era.
Household equivalent of the half-timbered British estate cars like the Morris Minor Traveller and the Morris Mini Traveller - the latter being the only car I ever owned which got wood worm
(as well as a fair amount of "tin worm")

Household equivalent of the half-timbered British estate cars like the Morris Minor Traveller and the Morris Mini Traveller - the latter being the only car I ever owned which got wood worm
(as well as a fair amount of "tin worm")
a car with wood worm - brilliant

out of curiosity, what wood did they use?

a car with wood worm - brilliant

out of curiosity, what wood did they use?
Ash, as @footprints said. It was just fixed to the outside of the body on the Mini Countryman, as @JohnD said. Apart from the woodworm it also had galloping wet rot in places.

I did once make-up a set of ash frames for a Moggy Minor estate - solid ash, dowelled. Loads of curves on the bandsaw, but drill the joints  before cutting the curved (I learned the hard way)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back