What are the rules on replacing/removing/installing an electric oven?

I think there is a misunderstanding there. It is part of building regulations. In a sense these have no force in law but what matters is the outcome. ...
As TTC has tried to explain, I think it is you that has a misunderstanding.

BS7671 (formerly, and still subtitled, the IEE/IET "Wiring Regulations") has nothing to do with the Building Regulations (which are 'the law'). If the Building Regulations had wanted to, they could theoretically have required electrical work to be undertaken in compliance with BS 7671 - but they didn't. Instead, they just produced a one-sentence requirement about electrical work (in the Building Regulations), just saying that it has to be undertaken safely.

In practice, demonstration of compliance with BS7671 will usually be taken as indicating compliance with the Building Regs, so that's the easy route that most people take. However, if one has a good argument as to why the work is 'safe', that satisfies the law (the Building Regs), even if the work does not comply with BS 7671.

Sponsored Links
They try hard in the Electrician Guide To The Building Regulataions and on domestic come up with this one

Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015

It relates to the HSE by the look of it and depends on workers used and time taken.

There is a chapter on legislation.

There is still the disconnect and don't use and also remove aspect on the face of things. The remove aspect I have found seems to only related to building aspects but amendments etc.

Web views on the subject differ
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/16/electrics/3
The gov version of that one did have pdf's about but couldn't find them this time and don't remember seeing any on electrics. What I did see is probably on the co.uk site.

Then the law aspect, pointing at the owner not the installer. I understand is true but there has been talk of changes in as much that installers do meet regs and are responsible for that.
http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/Regulations-Explained

Older stuff generally will meet the regs so just leaves faults.There are regs for DNO's but indications are that problems from a supply users point of view such as a supply that doesn't meet specs don't get fixed. They should also be able to provide certain data on supplies. I have seen comments that it doesn't arrive when requested.

Avoid anything that has the word “guide” in the title. Especially that tome which is woefully out of date and has a number of wrong paragraphs in it.

I’ve tried hard to understand the remainder of the above, but can’t rearrange the words into an understandable sentence. Maybe it’s Friday and it’s been a long week.

Sponsored Links
Opinions varying is the worrying bit really as the responsibility in respect to building regs is the property owner not the person that does it. I think there has been talk of changing that. Just talk. There was a gas explosion a few miles from me. A fitter did what he was told to do knowing it was wrong and finished up in prison. According to the news supervisor - no problem.
I doubt that was anything to do with building regulations, that would have been the Gas safety (installation and use) Regulations, which are their own thing and yes can easily land you in jail as the person who does the work, not the householder.
Building regulations have much less in the way of teeth, and are indeed the householders responsibility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back