What are we coming to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went into my builders merchant today, where he had to cut me some lengths of timber using a handsaw. He said that they are now introducing a test and certificate for employees of the company to be competant to use a handsaw. Apparantly it stems from one lad who cut right through his fingers using one. He didnt stop he just carried on. What are we coming to, test to use a hammer or a screwdriver. The worlds gone mad...again! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
What are we coming to, test to use a hammer or a screwdriver. The worlds gone mad...again! :rolleyes:
Yeah but, but, but yeah you know yeah but do you know which end is the hammer head? the screwdriver, not sure about that one, is it a hammer as well then the screwdriver to undo the screws? You see I don't know. :confused:

Next thing you know we will all be tested on common sense??

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
get off my show mate
I now know how Ernie Wise feel :cry: :LOL:

Have to agreed though, everytime there is a accident at my place of work, a new procedure come out from management to prevent it happening again, fair enough but some of it is way over the top. The latest one we have in the office is that we must use the stairscase handrail, I refused and got roped into the office and they demanded to know why.

Mason's : Well you see, I have noticed that in the men's toilet and 95% don't wash their hands and I'm picking their germs off the handrail so therefore would need time off work if illness arise. Guess what they have taken the noticed off the wall :LOL:

Well, when you are really going at a piece of wood with a saw, you might do a forward and a backward stroke before you realise your fingers are in the way. With a coarse enough saw that might end up with loss of fingers, you don't have to go all the way through bone just cut through the flesh and twist it off at a knuckle. Not nice, but surely a general health-and-safety coarse is required rather than specific saw training? Either that or as Wood says, a common sense cours!

I worked in a restaurant for a while, one of my colleagues, nice girl, very bright in many aspects but rather daft at times. I will never forget her entry in the accident book:

I was cutting a sandwich, and halfway through I realised the knife was the wrong way up.

She had only been cutting it in a sawing-fashion, pressing down on the top of the blade with her spare hand, except it was the cutting edge. :LOL: And you know what chefs are like about knives... this one was like a razor. Blood everywhere!

masona said:
Mason's : Well you see, I have noticed that in the men's toilet and 95% don't wash their hands

I was once in the bogs whilst someone at the other end of the urinals was then being very "thorough" at doing something involving a lot of hand movement, not sure what, you don't like to ask, but then when he finished doing whatever required that much hand movement he just wandered out without washing his hands. Yuck. Made a mental note that if I ever shook his hand, to stick it in a bucket of bleach within 2 minutes.

When I got back to the office there were doughnuts and cakes laid out. "Yummy" I thought, and made my way over. Shakey-hands-man got there 2 seconds before me and when trying to decide exactly WHICH doughnut he wanted, he touched about half of them! Thumbing through them like CDs in a rack at HMV! So I had a cake instead. :eek:

It doesn't matter how thorough you are at washing your hands in the toilet, you still have to use that door handle that Mr Cantbebothered Towashthem has used. Funny how most toliet doors open towards you when you are exiting.

Thermo - in order to answer your query, I have to know you and your companion(s) exact location.

nstreet said:
It doesn't matter how thorough you are at washing your hands in the toilet, you still have to use that door handle that Mr Cantbebothered Towashthem has used. Funny how most toliet doors open towards you when you are exiting.
Sad I know but I use the toilet paper to open the door handle, a clean one of course :!:

securespark, if it makes a difference shoreham by sea
cant give you a grid reference though!

Thermo - don't want to highlight your address - just trying to be like that character in Viz (forgotten his name - help, Adam!!) who was always taking what people said literally.

At my office building there is a "disabled persons" toilet, much nearer to the main office than the normal loo. Due to it being in the middle of the building there is a chord pull for the light. When there are only a few of us in, I do use it. Having seen the lack of water in the sink after numerous visits by my "colleagues" I always pull the chord at the highest point I can reach and push the door to with my elbow; odd maybe, but then I'm happy to eat my sandwiches.
I have also developed this habit of wiping the seat with fresh paper prior to lowering myself when necessary.

securespark said:
Thermo - don't want to highlight your address - just trying to be like that character in Viz (forgotten his name - help, Adam!!) who was always taking what people said literally.

I believe the appellation you seek is "Mr Logic" :D

I am really surprised here. I thought I was the most fastidious person around, compared to some of you guys I might as well smear excrement on door handles! :LOL:

However, I do win on the toilet seat front. I am known as "s**tbreak" by some of my closer chums, because I won't use the sitting facilities unless it is an emergency! Even then I won't actually allow the royal botty to touch the seat. It came in real handy last night, one of my friends accused me of breaking her toilet seat, but another of my friends leapt to my defence and said "Couldn't have been him, he wouldn't sit on someone else's toilet!" :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back