What are you watching on TV right now?

Watching Phillip Schofield on the news telling his side of it. Starting to feel a bit sorry for the bloke. It might all be an act but I believe him when he says he understands how Caroline Flack must have felt and thanked his daughters for not leaving his side last week. Mrs Mottie takes the opposite view and says he should have kept his trousers buttoned up…..

I thought it lovely when I read his daughters are not leaving his side.

But when he said he's lost everything the interviewer should have reminded him about the millions in his bank

Sponsored Links
Springwatch. Just seen that fox find the blackbirds nest and eat the chick. ****ing fox! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Last night, I decided to watch a late film, on Film 4 called Monsters - live. I was well into it, when it suddenly went off. Checking other channels, they were also all off - meaning either the transmitter, or my reception Emley Moor reception had failed. I did a quick retune, and managed to continue watching on a north west transmitter. I don't know how long it was off, but it's back on now.

I intended to try to catch 'Britains forgotten pensioners' Despatches, on C4, but missed it. I'm catching it now on streaming. It was about how pensioners are desperately struggling financially, to pay their bills for food and heating (made in the winter). Eating only one meal per day.

I don't understand how they are struggling so much? I just get a basic, but full state pension, I'm not entitled to any sort of top-ups at all. The only discount I get, is a bus pass. I more than manage well enough - I wouldn't usually want more than one proper meal per day, I did cut down a little on the central heating during the winter, setting the stat, lower than usual, making more use of a mains gas fire, heating one room, but struggle financially no..

I noticed one pensioner using a portable bottled gas heater for heat - which is probably a more expensive way to provide heat, than electric, last time I checked, with the price of bottled gas.

Last edited:
Last night, I decided to watch a late film, on Film 4 called Monsters - live. I was well into it, when it suddenly went off. Checking other channels, they were also all off - meaning either the transmitter, or my reception Emley Moor reception had failed. I did a quick retune, and managed to continue watching on a north west transmitter. I don't know how long it was off, but it's back on now.

I've just managed to find out, that it was a planned outage, to allow work to be carried out. It would have been good had they announced it, on the channels, before switching it off.

Series 1 of Suits. I'm really enjoying it! It's really weird seeing Meghan Markle, though. Maybe I'm paying more attention because of who she is, but she doesn't seem to be a very good actress. IMO. Although, I'm not claiming to be an expert.

I’m watching seasons 1,2 and 3 of Narcos. Seen it before but definitely worth a second watch. Based on real events around Pablo Escobar and the Colombian drug trade.

I don't understand how they are struggling so much? I just get a basic, but full state pension, I'm not entitled to any sort of top-ups at all. The only discount I get, is a bus pass. I more than manage well enough - I wouldn't usually want more than one proper meal per day, I did cut down a little on the central heating during the winter, setting the stat, lower than usual, making more use of a mains gas fire, heating one room, but struggle financially no..
To be fair, people should have three meals a day, or at least be able to afford 3 meals a day. One guy was so worried about the cost of electricity, he turned his fridge off.

It could be that some of these folk had not made enough contributions, so their pension is only partial?

To be fair, people should have three meals a day, or at least be able to afford 3 meals a day. One guy was so worried about the cost of electricity, he turned his fridge off.

Yep saw that, plus the woman struggling for money, yet still insisting on smoking.

It could be that some of these folk had not made enough contributions, so their pension is only partial?

Yes, but Pension Credit makes up the shortfall, and the government paid pensioners £500 energy contribution.

Yes, but Pension Credit makes up the shortfall, and the government paid pensioners £500 energy contribution.
Does every pensioner get both of those?

Yep saw that, plus the woman struggling for money, yet still insisting on smoking.
Addictions are extremely hard to break.

I smoked for 17 years before deciding I needed to stop. At the time I was doing part time driving. I had a multi-drop delivery from Manchester, up the M6 with stops in Lancs, Gretna, a couple round Glasgow, overnight then one more at Tebay on the way home.

I used to smoke a lot back then, but even more when I was driving for a living. I'd light one up, out the window, then I'd be bored and light up another a few miles down the road.

I took a carton of 200 with me. By the time I hit the M63 on the way home, I was opening my last pack of 20.

I was so sick of smoking, I decided to stop there and then. It coincided with me getting a different car, so as the car was a minter, it made sense not to smoke in it.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this bit.

Any sort of benefit entitlement, including Pension Credit, triggers a whole raft of discounts. As a pensioner who has no entitlement to any sort of benefit, I pay full price for everything. My only benefit, is a free bus pass.

Discounts for what?

I'm not trying to be awkward, I've never heard of this.

Sponsored Links
Back