What are your energy costs per kWh?

Reaction score
Dystopia, a small island too close to Europe
Country
United Kingdom
As title. Just been looking at the new cap, and comparing it to my tariff, looks like mine is a bit cheaper than the cap. I would have thought most companies would have charged the maximum they could. I'm with EDF by the way, after Utility Point went belly up.

Sponsored Links
You show me yours and I'll show you mine ;)

Electric
Standard unit rate33.028p per kWh
Standing charge 49.546p per day*

As from October, but they gas tariff isn't showing yet, guess they are updating the site? Britishgas.

Bulb:

Electricity Unit rate
35.0564p per kWh
Standing charge 38.9361p per day (£142.12 per year)

Gas Unit rate
10.3089p per kWh
Standing charge 28.4844p per day (£103.97 per year)

Price rise already on the website - previous prices from email

From 1 October, our prices will be increasing
We're increasing our electricity unit rate from 29.239p to 35.056p per kWh and electricity standing charge from 37.918p to 38.936p per day.

We're increasing our gas unit rate from 7.344p to 10.309p per kWh and standing charge from 27.219p to 28.484p per day.

Britishgas.

There electric standing charges are high. I was with BG years ago, and had a plan to save money, that I never got around to, of switching to them for gas in winter and back to another supplier in summer, who had more expensive gas but cheaper standing charges. Or was that electric? Can't really remember now! But it would have saved then. Probably too much hassle though.

Sponsored Links
1664534500790.jpg

I think most are charging the maximum they can.
Hard to move supplier, which means no competition, they can all charge the the full whack
If you have a cap, might as well wear it!

There electric standing charges are high. I was with BG years ago, and had a plan to save money, that I never got around to, of switching to them for gas in winter and back to another supplier in summer, who had more expensive gas but cheaper standing charges. Or was that electric? Can't really remember now! But it would have saved then. Probably too much hassle though.

I'm still waiting for the total, complete chaos of BG taking over my supply from Bristol in January, to be sorted out, having won my Ombudsman complaint - then plan is to move to another supplier which is a bit easier to communicate with.

You would not believe just how much of a mess my account is in with BG, they seem totally incompetent, I have never had even the slightest problem with any of my previous suppliers.

Last edited:
Yeah, we from EDF to BG, that was a nightmare, then to Bulb.
Bulb were good, in fact, still are OKish for customer services.
I suspect they will eventually become fully state controlled, probably a few months after the next election ...

As title. Just been looking at the new cap, and comparing it to my tariff, looks like mine is a bit cheaper than the cap. I would have thought most companies would have charged the maximum they could. I'm with EDF by the way, after Utility Point went belly up.

Your gas consumption seems to be about 50% higher, and electric almost double that of mine E- 2102Kw, G 10040Kw, versus your E- 3957Kw and G- 14506Kw.

I'm with EDF:

Electricity Unit Rate: 28.29p per kWh Standing Charge: 24.44p per day = £22 per quarter

Gas Unit Rate: 7.007p per kWh Standing Charge: 24.87p per day = £22.38 per quarter)

Luckily, I took out a fixed tariff in October 2021 until October 2023 :)

We're with OVO

Electricity. 21.59p standing charge per day, 19p per Kwh

Gas. 23.73p standing charge per day, 3.69p per Kwh

Fixed until Oct 2023.

As of today:

Octopus

Electric
26.05p/kWh
45.96p/day

Gas
6.93p/kWh
25.92p/day

Last edited:
I'm just looking at previous bills, to be honest, I've no idea what's going on, just seen my estimated usage is going to cost:

£1900 gas - 10400 kWh
£1630 electric - 3400 kWh

o_O

Sponsored Links
Back