What building material should I use here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a upvc porch.

Between the porch and my main front door, there is 5-9mm ply on the ceiling. The ply is delaminating, looks bad and needs replacing.

What building material/ item should I use to replace the ply?

Attachments

• IMG_20230324_172317954_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20230324_172317954_HDR~2.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 61
Sponsored Links
Is it a porch exposed to the elements or a mini extension, covered from all sides and dry?

Is it a porch exposed to the elements or a mini extension, covered from all sides and dry?
Its a mini extension i.e. covered on all sides, dry and not exposed to the elements..

Are you think, what i'm thinking? Plasterboard?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hollow soffit can be cut with either a hand saw or on a mitre saw, any small chipping will be covered by the edge trim.

Johnny2007 is probably wondering what has caused the original ply to delaminate as if it's protected from he elements it's a hardy material

Hollow soffit can be cut with either a hand saw or on a mitre saw, any small chipping will be covered by the edge trim.

Johnny2007 is probably wondering what has caused the original ply to delaminate as if it's protected from he elements it's a hardy material
Thanks

This area used to be exposed to the elements.

However following the installation of some double glazing and UPVC door the area is no longer exposed

While this area is not exposed to the elements.. This section can get a little condensed when the weather is very cold.

So my only concern is that the humidity could potential cause the plasterboard to develop mould.

However, i could counter this by adding some insulation in this section

I will weigh up my options and decide between plasterboard or the PVC. Thanks guys.

(if you mean just hiding the edge)

How about some of that L shaped bath seal trim that you use when the plumber made a gash job of finishing the tiles at the bath edge, and you can't face doing it all again right now? :)

(if you mean just hiding the edge)

How about some of that L shaped bath seal trim that you use when the plumber made a gash job of finishing the tiles at the bath edge, and you can't face doing it all again right now? :)
u wot m8?

Bath seal trim, hide that nasty edge where ceiling and frame meet. It's like coving, but smaller

2306138A-DFCF-4768-A81A-1C129361CE2C.jpeg

I assume you're talking about the edge with all the expanding foam blurting out; if you're meaning the entire ceiling section (can't see well in that blurry ass image but it looks ok?) then a sheet material well cut to fit. If there isn't any insulation above, consider PIR backed plasterboard, or remove the existing ceiling and fill above it (you don't have a lot of room in the frame height)

Bath seal trim, hide that nasty edge where ceiling and frame meet. It's like coving, but smaller

View attachment 299201

I assume you're talking about the edge with all the expanding foam blurting out; if you're meaning the entire ceiling section (can't see well in that blurry ass image but it looks ok?) then a sheet material well cut to fit. If there isn't any insulation above, consider PIR backed plasterboard, or remove the existing ceiling and fill above it (you don't have a lot of room in the frame height)
Now I get you.

The whole thing needs tidying up

The ceiling section is made out of thin ply and it has delaminated in places. It has been nailed timbers above

I will peel back the ply and run some cable and place mineral wool insulation (approx 170mm), then overboard the ply with either plasterboard or PVC soffit board

The edges with the expandable foam will be cut back.

I planned to just silicone some Flat PVC trim to the edge but I like your idea of using bath seal

Yes the picture was terrible, so I added a less blurry one.

Attachments

• IMG_20230324_172310267~3.jpg
    IMG_20230324_172310267~3.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 28

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back