what cable to buy for lighting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
Im looking to install several downlights..
15 in total but i "may" put these on two circuits.

What wire should i use for such an application, is 1mm 6242Y suitable?

Sponsored Links
If you intend to install new circuits then you will be required to design, install and test these new circuits. You will need to speak to your Local Authority Building Control and pay their not inconsiderable fee.
Your question suggests that you might not have the necessary knowledge and competence to carry out this work.

If you intend to extend the existing lighting circuit yourself then you will need to look at the rating of the existing MCB for that circuit - normally 5/6A Fuse/MCB. This will limit you to around 1150/1300w for this circuit.

Calculate the circuits current lighting maximum power usage by adding up the power rating for each light. Then calculate what wattage you will be fitting to the new down lights and add this to the existing lights to get a total - then multiply this figure by 0.66. If the total exceeds or comes close to the figure above you should not proceed - but consider alternate lower powered lights or a new circuit.

Under normal circumstances the cable you have identified 1mm² T&E should be sufficient for standard lighting circuits.

Standard 50w halogen down lights use up a considerable amount of electricity and give out a lot of heat - if you do intend to go down this route I would suggest you consider LED lights as an alternative.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Yes i am intending of using low powered LED lights.
Good. but you'll still need to get building control approval to install new circuits. Or use a registered electrician.
... or, given that we're talking about '15 low powered LED lights', maybe consider installing them as an extension to an existing circuit, hence avoiding the need for either of those other two options.

Kind Regards, John

... or, given that we're talking about '15 low powered LED lights', maybe consider installing them as an extension to an existing circuit, hence avoiding the need for either of those other two options.
Now where have I heard that before ;)

Indeed,
This is an old room not new build, there is already a cable from the main circuit. all on a new board.

Now where have I heard that before ;)
Indeed, but I'm suggesting no 'fiddle'. The room(s) involved presumably had some sort of lighting previously, so I'd been very surprised if there was really a need for new circuits for 15 LED lights, even if a self-certifying electrician were doing the work (thereby removing any contentious issues from the equation!).

Kind Regards, John

Yes John I mentioned earlier about extending the current circuit - but the OP's second post actually raises other issues as to why he cannot proceed with his proposal - new circuit or extended from an existing one. //www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/led-downlight-question.376587/[/QUOTE]
Fair enough, but I take every thread as I find it, and hadn't even looked at the other one yet. I know you previoulsy mentioned the possibility of extending the current circuit, but I responded to TTC's post because he seemed to be implying that routes involving notification were the only options available. It's actually all a bit odd, because TTC seems to be the very same person who, in that otherthread, has explained why these lights can't be installed (with or without new circuits and notificatoon)!

Kind Regards, John

Its all got a bit confusing now.

Wire.. sorted.. was just a "confirmation" post really.

My main issue is getting well priced LEDs which i can install in the cold roof. Yes, cutting holes in the insulation boards...

Its all got a bit confusing now.

Wire.. sorted.. was just a "confirmation" post really.

My main issue is getting well priced LEDs which i can install in the cold roof. Yes, cutting holes in the insulation boards...
You cannot do that - even led lights need a fair amount of space around them often 50/100mm wider than the actual unit itself. Plus you are going to damage your roof.

I know its not ideal, control wouldnt like it and ill lose heat but its really the only option available.

What's wrong with spots on a bar screwed below the ceiling - always worked for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back