What cable to use to first fix electric gate connection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house is undergoing a major rebuild and we are at first fix.

What should I provision for at the front of the house to accommodate an automatic gate at a later date before we start to close up the front of the house and repave etc? I'm referring to both the type of electrical connection and also the control mechanism to operate the gate from inside the house (I dont know if its remote control or a hard wired button).

Thx.

Sponsored Links
Put 2 ducting so to front of drive near gate post and put ducting across drive from gate post to gate post.This way if you need extra cabling for intercom / cctv etc you can put it in at a later date ?Also allow for cabling in house to connect intercom to these ducting points if required, wireless intercoms not great,also GSM intercoms can cause issues to.

Sponsored Links
(I dont know if its remote control or a hard wired button).
Wired every time. Although there are wireless systems which claim splendid reliability etc., there is always the possibility of interference from other sources, and if you fit wireless and then find it is unreliable there is basically nothing you can do about it other than install a wired system.

The only wireless part should be the remote control fob as used from inside your car when returning to the property.

If the driveway between house and gate is a moderate length, put in an additional duct from the gate position to about 3 car lengths along the drive, so you can have a ground loop installed for opening the gates when you or visitors leave.

Always use ducting where possible?
Mains power 2.5 SWA. 3 core then you could put power point at gate for other use.
Cat5e ducting grade for intercoms/video
Multi core cable for other uses lock open switch etc
Cable to operators depends on equipment you are going to use due to the number of cores required for the equipment?
NOT A DIY JOB
A risk assessment for safety should be done. Use a gate safe registered installer

also provide conduit between the gate posts to the controller box for the vehicle detector beam.
You may need to think about a gate release button, gate intercom, all sorts.
Google "electric gate wiring images"

There are lots to consider and some of it is gate specific.

Rf lighting,
But what about the cable?

I think you will find that they are saying to put duct in then you can pull any cable in when you know what is required for your gates.

Yes that's exactly what we are saying. Obviously no one can say for sure what type and how many cables you'll needed so installing two ducts allows you to install as many or as few cables as you need when your gate engineer has designed the system.

Yes we plan to obviously get a professional firm to install an electric gate, this wont be a DIY job but my point is about what sort of cables to run at this time within.

I didnt get everything that is written here about the cables itself, when you say 8 core. I bought CVR 8 core alarm cable, is that ok? If not, what do I actually ask at the electrical shop for the types of cables I need?

You don't.

You install ducting so that the gate installers can later install the cables they need.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back