What can I do to tidy this up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Had the loft partially boarded yesterday and when I was up there after I noticed this in a bit that is non boarded. Coming from light fixture in room below.

I thought of just putting a loft lid downlight cover over it but wanted to check that was safe?

Secondly, do I need an electrician to tidy this up? A lot of the wiring is old / pretty messy as old property.

Thanks!

IMG_9966.jpg

Sponsored Links
The technical term for that is 'shoddy as f*ck'. All those single red and black cores shouldn't be accessible or visible outside an enclosure.
Can't tell for sure what is connected to what but it needs redoing.
EDIT If other wiring is in a similar state you might want to invest in an EICR for the whole house.

That is a mess and needs sorting, and god knows what has been covered up by the boarding

Thankyou - appreciate the responses.

I will get someone in to sort.

Tell me this - if I had someone in to fit the lights in the downstairs rooms (there were existing lights in place) is it standard practice for them to check what the wiring is like in the loft before they switch the fixture down below?

I guess I am trying to work out if the person who changed the light is worth bringing in again for further work or whether this is a legacy problem from previous owners......

If that makes sense...

Sponsored Links
Thankyou - appreciate the responses.

I will get someone in to sort.

Tell me this - if I had someone in to fit the lights in the downstairs rooms (there were existing lights in place) is it standard practice for them to check what the wiring is like in the loft before they switch the fixture down below?

I guess I am trying to work out if the person who changed the light is worth bringing iean again for further work or whether this is a legacy problem from previous owners......

If that makes sense...
Not really standard but looking at that pic the person connecting should have noticed the excessive single cores and pointed them out/asked if there was any access above. So they were not particularly diligent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back